This 1982 DeLorean DMC-12 could be yours

Originally published at: This 1982 DeLorean DMC-12 could be yours | Boing Boing

2 Likes

A good friend of mine has one, and they are super fun to cruise around in because of the love you’ll get from everyone who sees it. That said, and I say this next part with love- they are pretty terrible cars. :joy:. The wheezy 2.8 liter Renault engine is not great, and they are way too heavy for what they are. The visibility is also really awful in there. It’s like driving an armored personnel carrier- you’re looking through a slot at the world. It’s dripping with ‘80s style, though, and that is fun.

25 Likes

Yup.

6 Likes

Those flux capacitors have been out of stock at O’Reilly for a long time.
But I’m disappointed that they don’t even have a part number for an oscillation overthruster.

11 Likes

By some estimates there are more BttF conversions on the road than unmodified models like this.

It’s a real shame DMC went under before they could finish the twin turbo kit. It would have likely made the reliability even worse, but at least it wouldn’t have embarrassed itself by being the slowest sports car of the era. Or at least it might be in the right ballpark.

6 Likes

It’s a chicken and egg problem that you need the parts to go back in time to when they were in stock.

Actually, this is a good point. Doc should have traveled to 1982 and stocked up on parts for his time machine while they were still in production.

8 Likes

Well that’s interesting. I do quite like the styling of the unmodified cars but in my mind the desirability of the DeLorean will always be that BttF look until you’re old enough to buy one and have the dawning realisation it’s a piece of shite.

1 Like

I miss the Mr. Fusion.

2 Likes

You nailed it! This car is a total “nope”, but I kinda miss seeing the one that used to live around Ann Arbor, MI!

5 Likes

Too bad they’re so collectible, because an LS swap (or whatever; any engine made in the last 20 years is more powerful) would make a lot of sense.

6 Likes

1966 Ford Galaxy 500 fastback w/factory 428 7.0L w/ 4 barrel carb double pumper & 4 on the floor.
Never met a gas station it didn’t like. I drove that car from NYC to San Diego in 58 hours solo in 1982, never shut off the engine, just gassed up and went till the tank hit E. That’s my intergalactic space time machine, from the old century.

16 Likes

johnny-carson|nullxnull

6 Likes

With enough work, surely one could plonk a Busso in there, if’n you paid enough for a custom bellhousing.

That’s a sick ride yo!

4 Likes

Came here to say the same thing. Fun but I sure as hell wouldn’t want to own and maintain one.

1 Like

Last time I went to a Maker Faire there were three or four modded ones parked in a row. I suspect there are whole fan communities built around that hobby, like the people who spend thousands of hours building meticulously detailed R2-D2 units.

1 Like

What music did you listen too on your trip?

3 Likes

Car doesn’t have many miles on it. I guess it was only driven from time to time

13 Likes

The only one I ever saw in SoCal was painted red. NOT its color! :grimacing:

3 Likes

I lurve that Galaxy!

4 Likes