40 years ago, this TV commercial introduced the DeLorean to stunned viewers

Originally published at: 40 years ago, this TV commercial introduced the DeLorean to stunned viewers | Boing Boing

4 Likes

And 39 years ago this happened…

In October 1982, DeLorean was charged with cocaine trafficking after FBI informant James Hoffman solicited him as financier in a scheme to sell 220 lb (100 kg) of cocaine worth approximately $24 million.

4 Likes

Yeah, not a good look, but didn’t he beat those charges? From Wikipedia:

6 Likes

How were they “death trap gullwing doors”. Are all gullwing doors death traps? Tesla too? I would say a car with such a low car like the delorian is less likely to flip on its roof than a tesla in an accident.

3 Likes

Nope, he did time in the big house. Ten years is what I remember…

1 Like

Can you cite a source for that claim? Everything that I’ve found says that he was found not guilty. His reputation was ruined and the DMC was bankrupt by the time his legal problems were over, but I’ve found nothing saying he went to jail, certainly not for 10 years.

Perhaps you’re confusing John Delorean with a different individual who was involved in that same case, who did receive a 10 year sentence after cooperating with the government:

3 Likes

Yeah, I thought he never served time. His wiki doesn’t say he served time, but wiki isn’t always accurate. I did see this little bit:

4 Likes
2 Likes

Dare I say it…? Other than the ‘Back to the Future’ looks, they sucked as, you know, an actual car.

7 Likes

Watching this is just like having a flux capacitor.

2 Likes

Yup. We’ve covered this.

2 Likes

There was a tiny bowling alley near where I lived in the 1980s that almost always had a DeLorean parked out front. It had vanity plates that said: DEALER.

I was never certain if it belonged to a punster or someone in the cocaine distribution industry.

1 Like

Mercedes solved this problem on the their SLS supercar by installing explosive bolts in the door hinges with an emergency lever inside the cabin. Lamborghini just included a hammer in the glove box for the windshield glass of the Countach. Tesla gets a pass by having ‘regular’ front doors on the Model X.

3 Likes

Time for an old joke:
How can you tell if a DeLorean passed you on the highway?
The white line is missing.

8 Likes

Is nobody going to acknowledge that the doors are named after rats of the sky that shit on us!?

3 Likes

That’s how I remembered it – a couple years later, in 9th grade, a friend & I speculated that if one of us ever got into real trouble, DeLorean’s lawyer could get us off the hook.

(By then I’d [temporarily] forgotten about Paul McCartney a few years earlier)

1 Like

Almost 20 comments in and no BTTF gifs yet?

For shame…

4 Likes
3 Likes

the cybertruck was a manifestation of some 70’s designs

1 Like