Check out the Pogues' tour rider from 1991 — the last year Shane MacGowan was in the band

It’s the grapefruit juice that keeps 'em healthy

Wikipedia says for notable regions:

Alsace, Germany, Northeast Italy, New Zealand, Switzerland, USA, Canada, Southern Australia, Somontano in Spain

2 Likes

The name definitely originates in Tyrol, the grapes possibly.

3 Likes

I note their contract lists their original name, Pogue Mahone, which in Irish Gaelic means “kiss my arse.” They had to drop the second part because BBC stations wouldn’t play them. So their name became just The Pogues (The Kisses).

1 Like

Technically “The Kisses” would be “Na Pógadh.” But I’d argue the linguistic hybrid of the anglicized “The Pogues” is far more suited to the band.

3 Likes

John Peel played their songs when they were Pogue Mahone, they even had a Peel Session under that name.

3 Likes

Yeah, plus the big hole in that logic for me is that it’s extremely unlikely the poor but meticulous bastard who has to filter the M&Ms is also going to rigging the lights.

1 Like

Yeah, but there should be one person at the venue who’s ultimately in charge of seeing that both tasks are done correctly, shouldn’t there?

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.