Check out this 1931 Soviet guide to turning potatoes into toys

Several different genus and/or species go by “chestnut tree” in North America.

This

devastated these

but not these

which what I am guessing what @NukeML picked up in Illinois.

7 Likes

They’re actual Horse Chestnuts. The gardens have buckeye too. The Horse Chestnut trees are enormous.

https://cantigny.org/

7 Likes

My mum said everything will be alright as long as I have a potato…

8 Likes

Show them how to play conkers. Your nice figures look safer.

5 Likes

“Check out this 1972 stoner guide to turning potatoes into pot pipes.”

4 Likes

Delightful and beautiful! Truly.
So much depends on soil type and depth.

I miss the trees of the American midwest.
Where I am in Texas, there is very young, lean soil, little depth and a lot of limestone, some of it solid and many feet thick. The trees here can get old but they never get tall–arid conditions and shallow soils are too big an obstacle.

Back on topic:

In its original form, Mr. Potato Head was offered as separate plastic parts with pushpins to be attached into a real potato or other vegetable. Due to complaints regarding rotting vegetables and new government safety regulations, Hasbro began including a plastic potato body with the toy set in 1964.

6 Likes

But what gender are the potato toys? That’s the real question!

(Big ole /s)

2 Likes

And a bunch of WWI tanks IIRC

2 Likes

Tanks from the WW1 and on, yes, and they allow the public to climb all over them.

2 Likes

Outside of climate change, that might be the biggest ecological disaster in the history of the US. Certainly as tragic as the extinction of the passenger pigeon or the massacre of the bison.

2 Likes

Or the introduction of earthworms.

2 Likes

Aw, my Archie McPhee haul had plastic guns. Eh, not that safe if you don’t like (also flammable more than blown plastic film, also dyeable) starch coatings on things. Always mount a scratch (potato plug ultraviolence) set?

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.