Mr. Potato Head to go genderless

Originally published at: Mr. Potato Head to go genderless | Boing Boing

7 Likes

loling at conservatives trying to give potatoes genders

12 Likes

27 Likes

I’m a very liberal, not angry guy. This is silly.

3 Likes

This is one of those things where conservatives just sort of roll their eyes and go “pfft!” while the big angry energy comes from the supposedly lefty guys who are always mad about identity politics and what have you.

I…what? A cursory search of Twitter shows that the entire discourse on this topic is angry conservatives threatening to boycott Hasbro and left-leaning people dunking on them and memeing. Where’s this “lefties are the really intolerant ones” energy coming from?

The first three people I saw complaining were Piers Morgan, Tim Pool, and Clay Travis. Watch Hannity tonight.

14 Likes

seems smart from an amoral business stance tbh. gendered toys limit the potential market. why sell to half the kids when you can drop the mr and sell more easily to all of them?

4 Likes

17 Likes

11 Likes

Maybe? It’s pretty oblique if so, especially since there’s a legitimate complaint buried in there (sometimes lefty dudes can indeed be pigheaded about gender issues while thinking they’re enlightened — but conservatives hold the title).

4 Likes

I’m going to start selling Fingerlings and baby potatoes on eBay as “discontinued accessories”.

1 Like

Knowing Rob’s style, I’m pretty sure that was biting sarcasm, but feel free to ask him yourself.

@beschizza, I know it ruins the joke if you have to explain it, but…?

8 Likes

For clarity, is it the going genderless or the inevitable response to it that you find silly?

I foresee a TGQP/Qnuts “freedom fries” moment here in the very near future.

1 Like

Exactly.
Half the number of SKUs (and headaches), double number of sales.
This is why it makes sense to minimize product options/variations.

2 Likes

Hasbro has learned this lesson the hard way

2 Likes

Yes. 

5 Likes

You know, I always want to post things where people can never tell if it’s a joke, and I thought this one was too obviously a joke, while my other candidate comment…

“someone will beat a queer person to death in the next few years and, tear-streaked with rage, mutter ‘this is for Mr. Potato Head’ when they are finished”

…I thought was too obviously what I actually believe will happen.

14 Likes

Then I’ll just have to stick on a smile and carry on.

10 Likes

Can you point on the potato Head where “they” destroyed your country? /S

5 Likes

My apologies, then! But it is an argument used in earnest by conservative thought leaders (“Liberals are the real racists, here’s why!”), and this particular framing does accidentally include a truth (progressive/leftie men are indeed often hypocrites about gender issues).

6 Likes