Check out this 1931 Soviet guide to turning potatoes into toys

Originally published at: Check out this 1931 Soviet guide to turning potatoes into toys | Boing Boing

2 Likes

I hear the voice of my mother saying not to play with my food.

But then in 1931 Russia you could eat your toys.

7 Likes

In 1930’s Ukraine they would have eaten the potato and the child.

7 Likes

9 Likes

Tabloid spoof:
Walking around, looking at the screen instead of the street:

1930s potato people, they’re just like us! :joy:

11 Likes

When I was a kid we would make toys out of horse chestnuts and matches/toothpicks

Example from teh interwebs.

There is a park near me that actually has horse chestnut trees. Maybe I’ll try scraping up a few.

15 Likes

Even in Soviet food advertisements the food looks better then it is when you get it.

Also who is wasting all those matches?

5 Likes

I was wondering about the matches, too. Why not use toothpicks? Unless they didn’t have toothpicks? :woman_shrugging:t2:

1 Like

Toothpicks are not as global as you might think. Having a dedicated disposable implement for cleaning ones teeth? Matches are much more plentiful. You could also find “cocktail sticks” which are identical to toothpicks, but only if you were hosting a party or simar event

5 Likes

In 1930s Stalinist Russia, the only rational action would be to turn the potatoes into vodka.

4 Likes

With retailers warning of toy shortages in the shops - this will make a terrific Christmas gift in 2021 Brexit Britain.

Though we’ve probably also got potato shortages.

7 Likes

Just leave the horse apples alone.

6 Likes

It took the Soviets to turn potatoes into toys, but it took AMERICANS to turn them into weapons!

12 Likes

You don’t truly ascend to 100% 'murica! score until you dissolve the conceptual distinction between ‘toys’ and ‘weapons’ to provide a single class of tools to serve your similar conceptual merger of ‘fantasy’ and ‘policy’.

2 Likes

You get a free match every time you light a cigarette.

4 Likes

Only managed to scrape up a dozen. I got there right as the lawn mowers were rolling over the ground. Barely enough to make anything worthwhile, but enough to annoy the young’ns with traditional crafts.

Cookie the dog is unimpressed.

8 Likes

Where are you? I thought they were basically extinct.

Aurora IL. Cantigny park in Winfield has a number of Chestnut trees

2 Likes

Are they transplanted European ones or survivors of the blight?

1 Like

I’d guess transplants but I don’t know. The park has formal grounds with a variety of trees. Nice place for a visit, if you’re ever in the area.

3 Likes