Check out this new documentary about HALYX, the forgotten Sci-Fi Rock Band of Disneyland

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2020/09/03/check-out-this-new-documentary.html

2 Likes

Defunctland always makes sure that it puts its name on quality, but this is a top notch doc. Really really worth watching.

2 Likes

Can we start the hashtag #releasethehalyxcut or something similar?
If someone at Disney is sitting on demos or a studio recording, it would cost next to nothing to turn them into mp3 files and put them on Spotify.

1 Like

I would love to see HALYX ret-con’ed into the Star Wars universe. No need to make a big deal about it, simply approved in canon. Ideally so HALYX songs play at Oga’s Cantina with R-3X adding some back story. “Here’s a classic you should hear” level of comments.

1 Like

I wonder if they ever opened for Captain Eo.

2 Likes

Yeah, easy enough to add it to the playlist.

2 Likes

It would require a little more work. They’d need to bring in Paul Rubins for the voice work. Pad the robot programming to add the song[s]. The playback sequence is a fixed loop that syncs with the outside sounds (giving the “outside of the club” feeling).

Which isn’t too much work, but not simply adding a track and calling it a day. I personally think it would be worth it, but I’m also sitting here on my armchair saying this.

FYI: you’re responding to [EDIT: someone in a position to know about such things] so I think he has an idea what would be involved.

1 Like

Shush, I’m trying to keep a low profile. Plus, he’s actually right, there’s no such thing as a small change when it comes to show elements at the Mouse House.

Edit to add: now that I’ve listened to a few of their songs I’m starting to think that HALYX probably worked best as a costumed live band, and wouldn’t necessarily play as well as rhythmic club music. There still must be a way they could reference the band or do a tribute though. And there are remix possibilities galore.

2 Likes

Oh, I didn’t know! Yes, you’re certainly in the know. Like I said, I’m armchair quarterbacking here. I accept that I can be completely wrong.

And there are remix possibilities galore.

Honestly I would expect a remix for Oga’s and that’s OK. The root goal is to honor the history of the band after how things evaporated. Sitting in this armchair, I don’t think a “pure” song play is needed to achieve that.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.