Check out this ridiculous and fantastic Honda Civic powered by a tandem bicycle

Imagine things going awry while going downhill and the bike rig collapses in front of the moving car.

Bike the wax tandem.

1 Like

The cop seemed appropriately flummoxed. I was wondering if it would be legal here in the UK so I went to have a look at the regulations.
If I’m interpreting this right, then although this tandem-Civic would count as a four wheeled bicycle (avoiding the regulations on cars or powered quadracycles), to be a road legal ‘bike’ it would have to have separate front and rear brakes. So, despite having a braking system designed to stop a car moving at 70+mph, because it operates on all four wheels at once it wouldn’t be a legal bicycle under UK law. (I’d say that this is a flaw in the law, but this entire vehicle is a mockery of the laws of gods and men :wink: )

However, they could easily adapt their machine to be UK road legal, by crimping the rear brake lines, so that the footbrake only acted on the front wheels, and use the handbrake to stop the rear wheels.
Given the engineering in the rest of the build, I’d go for simply hacksawing the rear brake line at a convenient point, and squishing the end closed with some vice grips.

4 Likes

A Fiero would’ve been awesome to watch because it’s mid-engine. I’m certain they’d find a way to connect to the drive train behind the driver, and it’d be a hoot to watch.

And the near-amputations during the angle-grinding.

So agreed: overall fun to watch, apart from the bits when I had to look away.

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.