Check out Tucker Carlson's clean, dustless workshop full of unused products

Who am I to judge his Real Boy Drag?

Even 1%’ers can cosplay.

21 Likes
3 Likes

You’ve all missed the most glaring problem with this “shop.” What sort of madman doesn’t put the vise on the corner of the workbench?

The WD40 missing the red tube, I can overlook (though how are you going to safely use it as a flamethrower, I ask). But the vise. THE VISE!

16 Likes

… not sure I want to know what shop slippers are. :slight_smile:

As far as a tie is concerned, I have a large pair of quality scissors that’ll correct that situation. Shop safety is no joke.

You people are so unfair. Look at all this dust.

3 Likes

The point isn’t that it’s too clean, the point is that it’s unused. The reason that’s an issue is because billionaires and generally people with a great deal of privilege gain political capital by pretending they are just like the average guy. There’s certainly nothing wrong with trying to be relatable if what you’re saying is true. Biden knows that his love of dogs plays well with the public for example but at least he doesn’t rent dogs to do it.

If there’s nothing you can reveal about your life that might be relatable to the average person, it’s because you’re not. At that point your claims to understand what they’re experiencing are dubious. If you’re lying about innocuous stuff like whether you enjoy doing things in the workshop, it’s guaranteed you’re lying about the important stuff.

13 Likes

WD40 and duct tape are both present.
It checks out.

2 Likes

I wouldn’t even say it’s unused.

It’s not real.

Nothing in photo resembles a space or collection of items that could be used for much. None the less a space that has been or is actively used.

6 Likes

It’s weird because Carlson does have hobbies that would play well with the American conservative public like fly fishing and driving through the countryside.

I’m sure his interior decorator decided a workshop would be an appropriate thing for a house and accessorized accordingly.

2 Likes

It’s a studio set in his Maine outpost.

11 Likes

What does “I should buy a lathe” mean?

I’ve only ever seen the phrase used here and I’ve never understood it.

Serious question!

3 Likes

Exactly. That type of vise is designed to swivel 90° (see the swivel plate on the bottom), so it can go on the corner. And if it isn’t in the corner, you are reducing the usable workspace on that small a bench by wasting the space between the vise and the edge of the table.

3 Likes

Fly-fishing has long standing, upper class associations. And “driving through the country” sounds like something old, rich, British people did on a Sunday in 1920.

Carlson is a prep school, trust fund douche. Selling himself to a group of people who view lifted pickup trucks, firing assault rifles in random directions, and wearing Real Tree ™ camo all the time as key markers of identity.

His milk toast, debate club whiteness is a core part of his appeal. But neither fly fishing while dressed like a Range Rover ad, nor looking at trees from a luxury car are going to signal his giant, American penis to these people.

“Look tools” splits the difference. It’s classically manly. Points at middle class, basic maintenance, do it with your hands mentalities. But also gestures at more affluent seeming shit like fine wood working. All wrapped up in that nostalgic, the way it used to be things made right thing.

That’s probably why this set looks more like a corner of my grandfather’s garage than the modern space of anyone who’s actually making or fixing anything.

6 Likes

I would be so excited if my workshop was featured in a photo shoot and someone could get it that clean beforehand. I don’t know where they’d put all the actual tools to make space for their weird workshop aesthetic items, but I’d be tickled pink if they could get a handle on the wood dust.

7 Likes

Two boxes of nails and not a hammer in sight. Cans of finish and not a brush in sight. Two spools of house wire and not a wire stripper in sight. Classic toolbox with no tools in it. Mirrors his cable show - content upon content and not a fact in sight.

20 Likes

It definitely looks like an interior decorator staged it, kind of like when someone opens a “country” restaurant in a city and hangs old rusty farm equipment on all the walls, to make it look “authentic” and stuff.

And I don’t know anyone with a workshop whose first task wasn’t to cut their too long belt down to the right size…such an easy, satisfying thing to do if you are a real maker.

10 Likes

I can only speak for what it means to me. A lathe is a highly specialized, single purpose tool that requires intermediate to advanced skill to use. They are also moderately to very expensive, and take up considerable space. Buying a lathe is a serious decision.

Juxtaposing a picture of someone looking serious in a craftsperson setting, especially someone who doesn’t look like they would or could work with their hands, with the caption “I should buy lathe,” is absurdist comedy, because you know the lathe would immediately claim a finger or two on first use, if they could ever figure out how to turn it on.

15 Likes

I think ‘shop slippers’ are what F!cker Snarlson is wearing in the pics.
Emphasis on the ‘slip’ part… loose, poorly secured footwear means trips n slips and badabing badaboom! Geez just get some laces so they can come undone and send you into the table saw face first Tuck!

I bet he’d just take off that super long red tie and wind it around his left arm, then goose-step all the way back to the house whilst shouting in pidgin German. Yes, buy that lathe! Maybe two.

4 Likes

It’s just a long lived woodworking meme.

People are perpetually finding situations where a lathe would be useful, or admiring projects that require them.

Leading them to say “I should buy a lathe”.

The gag being they don’t. Or if they do they never use it.

I have no clue how long it’s been a thing but I can remember seeing headlines like “why you really should buy a lathe” in my dad’s woodworking magazines like 20 years ago.

12 Likes

Tucker is definitely that guy. “I’m buying a grand piano.” Do you play piano? “No, but wouldn’t it be cool if I did?”

13 Likes