Cheese expert asked to guess which cheese is more expensive

Tillamook produces some nice cheeses, though I’ve never been to the Factory. If we’re in Tillamook, it means we are going to Netarts Bay to rent a skif and go crabbing.

4 Likes

Agreed.

I got them all except the Feta.

But I learned something about Feta because of it, so net positive :slight_smile:

6 Likes

You are Mr Wensleydale, and I claim my £5!

7 Likes

She said that repeatedly though. They’re both good, I’d use this one in a weekly salad but this other would be for a special occasion… etc.

5 Likes

Wait a minute. Cheese expert is a career option? I want a do-over.

13 Likes

tasty cheese couldn’t possibly be tasty enough for that abomination onto nature and man.

3 Likes

Actually, I don’t have 11 minutes for bougie cheese.

1 Like

yuck

Personally, I can really only go for Italian cheeses like mozzarella and provelone. I’m not really sure what that might mean.

3 Likes

I’ve had expensive cheese, cheap cheese, and all sorts in between, and in my opinion the best value of awesome flavor to price is a good aged gouda. The really well aged ones have crunchy little crystals inside. They aren’t terribly pricey and they’ll win every cheese board.

The most expensive cheese that’s totally not worth it? Époisses. Very fancy in its little wooden box, but smells like old socks and the flavor isn’t really any more worthwhile than a good brie or limburger at a third of the price.

4 Likes
2 Likes

9 Likes

Things go bad on my fridge, I throw them away. But then you have cheese, wine, yogurt, beer, which are just spoiled food and delicious. Go figure.

3 Likes

The cheese stands alone. The cheese stands alone.

5 Likes

The final blue cheese is, I suspect, Rogue River Blue, from Oregon. Interesting that there wasn’t a flag showing which country it hails from, whereas all the others did.

1 Like

Do you have space in your life for Baby Cheeses?

One day, I want to sample Milbenkäse

2 Likes

She’s just showing off to the wine guys.

Because “knowing your cheese” is (or used to be) part of french culture and education - including a basic knowledge of cheese production techniques. Many of the cheeses presented in this video either have a direct french equivalent (Roquefort or Bleu d’Auvergne for the blue cheese, more than I care to list for the fresh and aged goat cheese, etc.) or are just as well-known and popular in France as in other parts of the world (Feta, Parmegiano Regano, Gruyère …)

2 Likes

This thread is filled with cheesism.

1 Like

Bah.

No classic British cheeses. I’d love to see a comparison of an American “Cheddar” versus a proper, West Country Cheddar.

True, the French do wonderful cheese, but us Brits ain’t too shabby either. I think one of the most expensive cheeses in the world is made in my home county of Gloucestershire, Stinking Bishop. It’s lovely.

And a good Stilton with some Port is just splendid.

6 Likes