You can get a 5-tier wedding cake made of cheese at Costco

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2019/02/18/you-can-get-a-5-tier-wedding-c.html

6 Likes

Not a bad selection.
Maybe add some Wensleydale, just in case?

7 Likes

You can never go wrong with a nice bit of Wensleydale…

6 Likes

The beauty of cheese is that the bacteria which make it eat most of the lactose in the original milk, so many people who cannot tolerate milk can handle cheese just fine.

3 Likes

Obligs…

Wallace%20%26%20Gromit%20-%20Eating%20Cheese%20on%20the%20Moon

15 Likes

Came here to say this. Not remotely disappointed that @Glaurung got there first.

6 Likes

I’m guessing the price
does not
include S/H?
Or are they pick up only!?

f60a2300f42867dbfaa1974b56c2a75e--cheese-shop-monty-python

5 Likes

I think the clue is in the name: “cake”. I could stack half a dozen hams, and call it a wedding cake made of ham, but that would not make it a wedding cake

Now, if they were to alternate cheese and ham layers, maybe with a pasta layer … well, then we might be talking about a cake I’d like a slice of.

5 Likes

Except that “many people” is carrying a lot of weight.

Some people - ok. Some cheeses - ok.

#notallcheese ?

Interestingly that mentions

“Although not really cheese, there are varieties of “cheese” made without dairy that contain no lactose at all.”

But doesn’t mention that there is cheese made from milk that has had the lactose removed.

I think the clue is in the “wedding cake” bit.

Over the years the actual “cake” element of the “wedding cake” has rather taken a back seat. I think many people think that the “wedding cake” doesn’t even have to be edible.

Ooh, you seem to be ahead of the curve - cheese wedding ‘cake’ appears to be an actual thing but a brief google indicates that no one has yet added sliced, cured meats!

There are also lasagne cakes as in cakes that look like lasagne, but no one appears to have tarted up a lasagne/pasta bake as a wedding cake yet.

Go fill that niche! Live the dream!

5 Likes

I know not of these people and can hardly bring myself to believe that they exist. This is just utter nonsense.
(Though stumbling across the many varieties of assorted detritus on ebay that are “ideal” for a wedding, makes me wonder if the word has not been hijacked by some weird ceremonial cult who keep using a word that does not mean what they think it does.)

1 Like

tumblr_inline_nry5ei1Xsz1tq5e6u_500

8 Likes

I can think of two weddings in which I’ve been a groomsman in which the bride & groom decided that traditional tiered wedding cakes are boring, too expensive, and not very good. Instead, they set up a fake cake with a topper as a nod to tradition. One wedding had an ice cream buffet and the other catered five different small-plate desserts for a fun variety.

4 Likes

Finally, a good reason to get married.

Well, besides “true love”, of course. Assuming such a thing even exists.

2 Likes

You are Prince Charles and I claim my five pounds.

4 Likes

Please do, and post pictures

4 Likes

I said I could, and I could. But I failed to mention my fee. Which, having the word “wedding” in the scope of works, immediately multiplies the cost by a factor of 10. Can you afford it?

But seeing as it’s you, here’s a sample of a simple three-stack ham “cake” made previously.
You get the idea, and if you have the means and willingness to fund a 6-stack version, just let me know. :wink:

3 Likes

Sure, if you are sensitive to lactose, then very few cheeses will be safe for you. However, that’s not the situation for most people with lactose intolerance - they’re not highly sensitive to it, they just don’t have the enzyme for digesting it past childhood.

Just about every history of ancient cheese mentions that cheese making enabled our ancestors to consume dairy products as adults even though they did not have the gene for producing lactase in adulthood.

1 Like

Again “just” is carrying a lot of weight there. Not being able to digest lactose can have a number of exciting consequences.

Not as bad as anaphylactic shock but still seriously unpleasant.

All a question of degree of course and certainly being lactose intolerant is no reason to avoid all cheeses - but maybe try a new cheese with caution and in circumstances where explosive diarrhoea won’t cause social embarrassment.

So a wedding reception might not be the place :slight_smile:

1 Like