Cheetos statue unveiled in Canada, an homage to Cheetle, the orange dust's official name

Originally published at: Cheetos statue unveiled in Canada, an homage to Cheetle, the orange dust's official name | Boing Boing

3 Likes

In grade school there was a kid who called them “Cheese Toes”, which is kinda cute in retrospect.

But he’d ask if we wanted some, and pull them out of his coat pocket, sans bag. He would just put handfuls in his pocket before he left home.

6 Likes

5 Likes

Meanwhile this guy is probably happy that they didn’t leave a statue in his front yard. He’s trying to sell the place* and is having enough trouble already.

*(at least he was trying to sell at the time this photo was taken, I don’t know how current it is.)

5 Likes

to honor Cheadle, a hamlet in Alberta, Canada,

Some people just can’t get any respect.

If they think this will sway Canadians away from Hawkins Cheezies, they are oh so very wrong.

9 Likes

In Canada, eh? :thinking: :no_mouth:

The :canada: made Hawkins Cheezies are made in Tweed :fire: :arrow_right: Belleville, Ontario. Cheezies are better. :grin:

Seems that Cheezies and Cheetohs are tied for “first”, both appearing in 1948.

6 Likes

A coincidence? I think not! This is just another example of the Canadian-American Industrial-Cheez Complex!

4 Likes

In the defence of the lack of buyers, that is not an aesthetically pleasing abode.

4 Likes

so much color! (so many mobile electrons) mix of red#40 (“allura red”) and yellow#6 (“sunset yellow”) …azo dyes both.

red:

yellow:

various historical bans in europe where additives are more guilty until proven otherwise; whereas in the states it’s closer to let-er-rip! curiously both have been vaguely implicated for ADHD in kids with higher consumption. whee.

4 Likes

To each their own, but I think it’s sad that he bought a small 70 year old bungalow in an interesting old neighborhood, transformed it into that, then immediately sold it. He only owned the property for 2 years and it was probably under construction for most of that. Why destroy an old house if you’re not even going to live in the new one? Oh well.

3 Likes

now that all-dressed chips are available Over The Counter in the US, my hope is that Cheezies won’t be far behind

2 Likes

I love Cheetos Puffs, and have been on a binge with them lately.

But I use chop sticks with them, and other snacks, to keep my hands clean.

2 Likes

So that’s not just a Hulk thing? Huh.

Just don’t do it when driving:

3 Likes

Came here to stick up for Cheezies. So pleased that my countryfolk already have.

Not only are Cheezies better, the company is too. They were an early pioneer of work-life balance for employees and to this day refuse to increase production beyond what is emotionally sustainable for staff. They work a 4.5 day week, still using the original equipment from 1949.

From the CEO on the subject of work-life balance:

“My dad said, ‘What do you need in life? You need clothes on your back, a roof over your head, a couple holidays a year and you’re good.’ I’ve kind of gone along with that philosophy. I don’t need anything more in life,” says Hawkins. “The bigger you are, the more headaches you have trying to keep up with everything. My dad got the business down to one product, so it’s simple. It’s worked for us because people demand our product.”

He doesn’t want to be rich or take over the world like every American CEO seems to want. Buy Cheezies, but not too many because supply is limited. :grin:

4 Likes

I’ve been doing it for years.Ever since I got a new job in an office and didn’t want dirty fingers on the keyboard. And then the habit followed me home.

1 Like

God help me I love Cheetos.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.