Chemistry student poisoned roommate with thallium purchased online

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2020/12/01/chemistry-student-poisoned-roommate-with-thallium-purchased-online.html

4 Likes

In 2018, he was also charged with ethnic intimidation after writing racist graffiti in the room he shared with Royal.

Only 6 to 12 years for a hate crime?

Further googling shows he wrote the N-word. Royal is black.

14 Likes

Tsk. When I was a chemistry student I only ever stole chemicals to use on myself.

PS poisoning someone with metals is even more of a dick move than regular murder. There are much more effective and less unpleasant options

7 Likes

Curious that he didn’t follow Agatha Christie and use the sulfate ‘salt’

The poison prescribed by Agatha Christie: Thanks to the mystery writer, the deadly properties of thallium sulphate have become common knowledge … [link]

(perhaps not also available via the internetz)

2 Likes

My lab partner and I once stole a large bottle of silver nitrate to try and make silver plated electrodes out of window screen for use in a fuel cell we were trying to build, but I guess that’s not really the same thing. Sorry, I just wanted to feel like I was part of the conversation.

17 Likes

Probably all you need to make it is dilute sulfuric acid. Which is very available.

4 Likes

6 to 12 years in prison is a very long time. I think “extra punishment for motive” is more of a gift to prosecutors than it is likely to result in fewer hate crimes. Then again, it’s very hard to know when it’s a good idea to release sociopaths.

3 Likes

All roommates must die!

(pretend this is in caps)

DO YOU NOT KNOW HOW TO DO ALL CAPS?

8 Likes

Whether or not hate crime enhancements should exist or not is a separate issue. They do exist and Pennsylvania has one. So why is the sentence comparatively lenient for attempted murder in the US criminal justice system?

7 Likes

No problem. Better than having to read “Fire… bad!” for the umpteenth time. :wink:

1 Like

That’s a fair question.

3 Likes

But you are so bold.

1 Like

It’s up to the judge how long he’ll be in prison
from the linked article:

“My understanding is that Mr. Yang must serve his minimum sentence of incarceration before he can be deported to China,” [assistant district attorney] Kurnas says. She predicts that Yang will face 6 to 12 years in prison but notes that the judge has discretion to issue a sentence as long as 40 years. The sentencing for Yang’s case is scheduled for Jan. 21, 2021.

also:

Thats “Lehigh” University

4 Likes

Not only was this guy a murderous bigot, he’s also massively stupid when it comes to covering his tracks- Really, you’re going to write racist graffiti on your victim’s walls, establishing a motive, you’re going to order the poison on-line under your own name, rather than utilising any of the deadly chemicals you have access to as a chemistry student. You’re also going to administer the poison in a way that leaves you with no alibi- this is a hopelessly inept, idiotic crime.

Finally, American universities still make students sleep two to a room? With the amount they charge, they could at least spring for a room each.

3 Likes

I used to work for a guy who I reckon is a psychopath, though I know diagnoses like that should be left for professionals. He got by on threats, power and bluster. Evidence against him was all over the place and of little relevance. He is a bit like a water skier. As long as he keeps moving he will stay above the water.

The evidence this student left around, probably just made him feel better about being awesome (in his eyes).

2 Likes

Um, no, I guess that I don’t.

But… I thought it was kinda’ funnier the way that I did do it…

… a little(?)

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.