Chesebro also cops a plea

IANAL, but turbofucked.

5 Likes

I suspect that people are flipping because it is becoming increasingly obvious that Trump isn’t going to be able to pardon ANYONE. And yes, I know that these are state charges, but I think that Trump has convinced himself that if he gets elected, he’s going to be able to command any governor to do whatever he wants, including issuing pardons. That is how fascist autocrats work, and he’s obviously gunning to have himself declared “President for Life, with Unlimited Power”, if he gets elected. He’s already said that he thinks the Constitution says the President can do whatever he wants. Delusional, yes, but dangerous.

8 Likes
4 Likes

All part of “the plan”.

2 Likes

Have you seen Fani Willis’s response to Jim Jordan’s earlier attempt to “investigate” the Georgia RICO case? ‘Offensive’: Georgia prosecutor excoriates Jordan for probe into Trump charges - POLITICO

9 Likes

The strange thing is that actual lawyers ever believed this could happen regarding the state charges. It’s either a measure of delusion or confidence that he’d be a dictator as you described (or both).

The ones who asked for a speedy trial also probably assumed the prosecution had nothing on them and bought into Biff’s claim that this was a political witch hunt. The evidence they were presented with that convinced them to flip must have been very compelling to shock them back into reality.

10 Likes

Is there a disbarment scorecard for these schmucks?

5 Likes

There’s a serious effort underway to disbar Chesebro, led by his former mentor (and legal heavyweight) Laurence Tribe.

Everyone who knew him is confused by how he ended up trying to support the attempted coup. The best explanation anyone can come up with is that he got Bitcoin brainworms, which most of us here know is a common vector for MAGA-itis.

10 Likes

Isn’t that what they thought with Nixon? All those bad actors and criminals in his orbit lived on to sow chaos and death in America and abroad. That Nixon was “disgraced” and nobody would ever support his ilk again was wrong. Chokey for the lot of them. It’s the only way to be sure.

4 Likes

Hate the game, not the player. The weird prisoner’s dilemma/Dutch auction system of plea bargains in exchange for testimony is not one predicated on finding perfect justice, but it does, perhaps, sometimes result in the worst members of a conspiracy actually going to jail. Other times it can lead to great injustices, either because it incentivizes false testimony, or because the prosecutors do not realize how culpable their “star witness,” actually is. And it’s not just a US problem, witness the deal that prosecutors gave Karla Homolka in Canada.
Karla Homolka - Wikipedia

The defendants that have flipped are familiar with how the justice system actually works in this country, even if two of the three are demonstrably BAD lawyers. So they know that with every defendant that flips, the value of the testimony that others might give goes down. Soon there ARE no more deals to be made.

2 Likes

It was, until Ford pardoned him. :woman_shrugging: Which of course, can’t happen in this case, because it’s state case, not a federal one.

Once Reagan got elected, most of those little people started to worm their way back into politics, and most of us forget or weren’t old enough to remember the watergate hearings. And now, most of us don’t consume the same news channels.

I’ll be very happy if the people who were at the center of the plot get the time. I think that will make a difference, at least in the middle term. If it clears out the party of the maga wing, then that will be a good step forward.

Um… what do you mean? I’m not hating her? I was responding to someone else complaining about the plea deal. I’m actually happy about it, as it means one less trial the city has to go through (the court house isn’t too far from my daughter’s college campus) and one step closer to Trump being convicted. I think this is a GOOD thing. :woman_shrugging:

7 Likes

One of those channels created by a Nixon operative who wanted to ensure that future Republican crooks would be supported by at least one news outlet.

6 Likes

I have, but since being illegal and wrong was never something Gaetz or Jordan saw as a barrier, I don’t know that they’ll stop power mongering if it might mean their side has more license to be obnoxious. Or, terrifyingly, a path to overthrowing the government, if they can eliminate Biden and Harris.

3 Likes

And if he can’t pardon state crimes, he’ll use a Attorney General less restrained than Barr to prosecute legitimate state prosecutors and judges who are upholding the law. He’s trying to use his vestigial bully pulpit now to harass them, it will be much, much worse if he ever oozes back into power.

5 Likes

Which one? Asking for a friend. /S

1 Like

He looks like the evil Agent Cooper from the most recent version of Twin Peaks…

2 Likes

The amount of pressure that His Vindictivness can put on state officials is he is reelected would give any official pause since he is utterly unbound by any sense of propriety or shame. Even it Trump loses, I predict that the ringleaders will be pardoned by a future Republican governor.

3 Likes

One thing that a lot of people here are forgetting is that these two individuals may still face other charges. So far, their plea only avoids further prosecution in this case alone. And some of the other charges they face are civil. At the very least, they likely face financial ruin.

2 Likes

Um, no… no one is “forgetting” that… but so far, this is the case where these two specifically has been charged. As far as I know, Trump is the only one charged in the Fed’s Jan. 6th case, since they seem to be pursuing a more narrow case than Willis.

I think that’s an assumption many of us have made… :thinking:

Or, you know, he’s a white dude, so maybe he won’t face financial ruin. :woman_shrugging: That seems just as likely an outcome, despite him now having a felony on his record, that he manages to land on his feet, and spin this in a way that will financially benefit him (writing a book, public appearances, becoming a pundit, etc)…

4 Likes

Canadian Wow GIF by DJ Khaled

2 Likes