Chicago PD maintains a "black site" for illegal detention and torture

Incidentally, you can check out the data yourself:

http://gis.chicagopolice.org/website/clearMap_crime_sums/viewer.htm?SUMTYPE=BEAT&SUMCATA=INDEX_&SUMTIME=90

I can’t look at the map and tell you who lives where, but it does seem like Green and Red have earned some of their reputation, no?

I’m having trouble reconciling the statement above with the statement below

Then you need to read it more closely.

Valid requests from a legal system, but I’m not hearing a specific answer here as to a system that’s gotten it right.

There would appear to be some that have gotten it less wrong. Not that I trust any of them, though as an apparently avowed authoritarian, I don’t expect you to understand why. Your copologism is becoming tiresome.

3 Likes

I’m not saying tourism might be affected because people are scared.

I’m saying tourism might be affected because people boycott the place to make a statement.

4 Likes

Saying “if you think… then this…” makes it a conditional statement, rather than speaking for you. I do this at times to get a feel for people’s positions because I often ask questions which people dodge, which they usually follow up with non-sequiturs, thus doing less to elucidate their perspective in a mutual way. You are always free to clarify if those assumptions or conditions might be erroneous.

Isn’t it nice to know that at least someone is trying? Why do you title your link “the definition of authority”, as if it was a specific thing, when your link is to seven definitions?

What I mean is not only respect, but also a formal chain of command: citizens>government>police. Sure, the police are delegated to by government. But the government are in turn delegated to by the citizenry.

2 Likes

You’re white, aren’t you?

9 Likes

Decent folk trapped in an evil system? Perhaps someone could stage an intervention.

2 Likes

The problem is, the closer I read your posts in this topic (17 of 69 so far) the more I uncover inconsistencies. Like these two

Would you be less inclined to be a dick to a cop than to some other random stranger who stopped you on the street for no discernible reason? Why not? Do you fear a cop is more likely to beat/maim/kill you?

So, they will fail to do their lawful duty if you’re “nice?” Does “nice” include handing them money when they ask for your identification?

The reason I ask that last question is because I have some (second hand) anecdotes of my own. Seems that for a long time, in the great city of Chicago, when pulled over on a routine traffic violation, if there just happened to be a tightly folded $20 bill sandwiched between your driver license and vehicle registration, the likelihood of being ticketed dropped to about zero. That was from a 20 year resident.

Yay for being “nice” to cops!

4 Likes

Exactly why there was no reason to be told you were wrong to worry about the red line.

But your link is just about crime by neighborhoods in general, not about crime on the el lines. It’s not the same thing.

Well, the dangerous platforms on the red line are in areas you wouldn’t have been living in or even commuting through.

You’ll notice that the only time the green line is mentioned is at Roosevelt, which is a block or two from Michigan Avenue in the South Loop (i.e., lots of retail, restaurants, white people, tourists) and is the connection spot between it and the much more dangerous red line. So once again, not really a green line issue.

This is depressing & I’m not even in the US.

It makes our battle to the north against the constant slide to the right by our government seem a bit hollow in a way.

I mean, if we did manage to string together some victories and move closer towards, instead of away from, the social democracy we deserve, those shits to the south will probably invade. If they keep their steady slide toward totalitarianism going anyway.

I think the best hope for us is that it gets worse for you all faster than it does for us, and you go on and have your revolution or something. I’d prefer it if everything stayed cool long enough for me and then my kids to die of old age if possible, in what remains of the peace.

3 Likes

As is probably quite evident, Chicago is a city of segregation and as such, it is quite possible for people living here to have entirely different views on pretty much anything, and certainly with regard to crime issues. It’s like the 6 blind men all describing an elephant. That’s why this site’s location is perfect: it’s in an area most white people don’t even know exists on the map, surrounded by poor brown-skinned people who are not in a position to question what is being done there.

6 Likes

God, I’m NEVER going to Chicago for a visit again.

Well…here’s the thing. If it’s happening in Chi-Town, it ain’t an isolated thing. Recall a year or so ago when the first Snowden revelations came out and were specific to Verizon? Recall how a lot of folks were all “I ain’t nevah doin’ bidness with Verizon again!”? Well, as I said then (and as was later shown to be correct), if Verizon was doing it, they were all doing it. Same thing here.

Black sites and “enhanced interrogation” are the NEW and not so improved “American way!”

(Don’t worry. Chocolate rations are going up, and Big Brother is watching.,…'cause he loves you!)

3 Likes

True, NYC prolly has a similar, prolly (unjustly) justified it by telling themselves they’d only use it for brown people after 9/11, but we all know how that goes

and it’s probably not just a city-size thing either, small town cops are the scariest b/c their shitholes are more fiefy dom like than large cities

4 Likes

Other PDs don’t have their own constitution-free zone black ops detention center.

And you KNOW this how exactly? The definition of a “black site” is a site unknown, Would you have said yesterday if someone had claimed the ChiTown PD has a black site that they did not have one because…?

1 Like

Yeah, I was using “organized” quite deliberately there, since we - arguably - already have disorganized death squads - that is, police that routinely end up killing citizens, but more as an accident/byproduct/result of negligent indifference rather than as the primary goal.

Where is the FBI in all of this? Aren’t they supposed to make sure this doesn’t happen?

I didn’t even ask. How open minded of you.

1 Like