Chicago PD maintains a "black site" for illegal detention and torture

In small towns the “black site” is the police station.

Giving training on how to set up black sites? Just guessing.

2 Likes

In the daylight, possibly. At night? I’ll take Detroit over Chicago any time.

Officers carrying out unlawful orders are exactly as culpable as higher ranking officers making the unlawful orders.

Bullshit. Secrets and envy are the wellspring of office gossip. You can bet good money that nearly anyone who’s been on the force longer than a couple years knows all about what goes on at Homan Square.

3 Likes

But everyone already knew that the police and the jails and the prisons have rape rooms. I remember the story about a cis womon, who had been mistaken for a trans womon, arrested on some bullshit charges, sent to the men’s jail, and raped there, when it’s only supposed to be the trans womyn raped there. I also remember the whole scandal surrounding v-coding.

1 Like

I recall stories saying that the FBI are at it too.

I like to at least allow for the possibility that I might be surprised. No matter how miniscule.

I really hate how effective the propaganda against Chicago is.

My daughters walk around at night with their friends all the time. It’s not anything like the public perception, really.

It’s a world-class city and absolutely worth visiting.

1 Like

You think the propaganda against Chicago is bad, you should try living around Detroit. :wink:

I believe the saying actually is

One bad apple spoils the barrel

Of course if you remove the bad apple in time everything should be OK, but we’re a long time past that for many PDs in the USA.

7 Likes

Oh, totally: it angers me too. Just driving through the city and seeing how even the highways are structured to support the suburbs rather than the city is maddening.

Detroit will renew itself, I’m sure of it. Think of Pittsburgh, for example.

1 Like

Ugh. The freeways are sooo poorly placed. It takes almost 2 hours at highway speed to go from Ann Arbor to Troy/Auburn Hills. It’s like 35 miles as the crow flies.

Detroit’s rebirth is going to look fairly different than Pittsburgh’s. It’s going to look more like the gentrification that happened in pockets of Chicago. Things are already changing, but few outside the metro ever hear about it.

1 Like

[frantically waving hand in the air]

Oh, oh, oh, pick me, pick me.

Oakland here. [terrorist fistbump]

3 Likes

What they do want is to be a a part of the executive which willfully misinterprets the legislature which defines it, and ignores/misleads the judiciary which directs it.

It’s nothing short of subversion of liberty, in the name of liberty. Dressed in flags and weapons, as usual.

3 Likes

I’ve visited Chicago and I don’t disagree, but it does have a shockingly high murder rate. There are a lot of parallels to draw between Chicago and Toronto as cities, but Toronto had 57 murders compared to Chicago’s 456 last year. From my experience of the city downtown, I am forced to guess that a lot of this violence is localized outside of the city center and away from anywhere tourists are likely to end up.

@IronEdithKidd @Elusis

I’ve been thinking about Gary this entire time – I drive by it all the time, and it really was shocking to see the eviscerated Sheraton hotel standing right next to City Hall – and then look what pops up on my reader today:

How Gary, Indiana got serious about tackling blight.

Gary is the only city I know of where the interstate goes directly by all the downtown governmental buildings but the speed limit doesn’t change from 70mph.

1 Like

Exactly. It really is almost all gang/drug related, in the poorer neighborhoods far from downtown.

So the evidence on why all Chicago cops are definitively evil is, to sum up:

1. Office Gossip
  2. I’m white
  3. Usage of the word ‘copologism’ (great professorial down-nose-looking by the way)
  4. Bush-era Absolutism (i.e. all non-bad cops should be protesting, since they’re not, all muslims are bad. Er, sorry, cops…)

Good job on taking down what is essentially a middle-of-the-road position.

Incidentally, the title of my link was entirely BB’s link scraping at work. I was not in any way attempting to be definitive, but merely inclusive of my definition.

1 Like

I’ll bite. Why wouldn’t you be a dick to your college professors? Because you want good grades.

The problem you describe is not one with the systems themselves, it’s with human nature. To think otherwise is to suggest that bias does not, and cannot exist. We know this isn’t so.

You’d be pretty naive to expect equal treatment in any system where people are involved where you don’t treat the people judging you with more respect than your peers. It’s very simple, and there’s studies to back this up; you treat people worse, and they treat you worse, consciously or not.

If you believe that anyone in any position of authority is inherently a bad person for crossing that line, even subconsciously, then that is a pretty high bar for humanity.

I am not saying it’s not a problem. I’m just unwilling to throw away a whole class of people due to certain behaviors.

Cops get a bad rap, certainly in this community. I know some cops, and they are good people. They get jaded by what they have to deal with, which could be fairly described as the worst that humanity has to offer.

Do you believe in radical empathy? Maybe you should try talking to a cop sometime about what they believe and why.

False analogy. Muslims are not employed to, charged by duty to, and given powers to protest. Cops are employed to enforce the law.

The article that this thread is about? It’s in present tense. Chicago PD MAINTAINS such a site. This is still going on.

Cops have internet. They can talk. Any cop who didn’t know BEFORE, surely does now.

And surely these hypothetical good cops you’re insisting are the majority, they could go down there and arrest anyone who’s breaking the law. It’s not unheard of cops to get together to achieve a common goal… unfortunately, every time I’ve heard of it happening, they’re doing it to make sure that there’s LESS oversight of their fellow cops.

Some even break the law and full-on riot to prevent that goal.

So I suppose we can look forward to these good cops arresting anybody who illegally detained somebody in this site? At the very least, storming the place in a surprise raid to make sure nothing illegal’s going on? No?

Yes, you are, quite obviously, and there’s nothing wrong with it, but insisting “cops usually only hassle you if you’ve done something wrong” is startlingly unaware of your privilege and of how life is different for a large group of people you live beside. What for you might get a wink and a warning not to do it again, for other people leads to arrest or potential death. And for all the times you’re doing something just a little tiny bit against the law, or not even that, just a little outside of the ordinary, things for which you’re never even NOTICED by the cops is, for other people, a reason to be stopped and searched and, if you don’t submit fully (even if you’ve been stopped every day), you risk arrest or potential death.

10 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.