Child gets first taste of wasabi

My daughter’s been a nut for Sriracha since around that age. Called it “'picey”, which was one of her more adorable utterances.

7 Likes

Hell no; that’s what parenting is! The child has no way of knowing what they are asking for.

Baby wants a razor blade…

3 Likes

ok, bring it down a notch on the slipper slope illogical fallacy.

My daughter does not like spicy foods and never has. My two sons love them. They both had wasabi by the time they were 2-3 and they liked it just fine.

Spicy food is not razor blades. So take that argument and move along.

11 Likes

I remember when I was a kid my uncle gave me some of his homemade horseradish on Easter, and he laughed as my eyes bugged out.

1 Like

Yeessss. Feed your anger! I am looking forward to completing your training. You want the fruit of the Capsicum chinensis, don’t you? Take the chili. Use it. Strike your taste buds down with it!

2 Likes

You can buy fresh—still growing—wasabi roots at stores like whole foods and new seasons on occasion. It can be grown at home if you know how. It just has no shelf life when prepared, hence green-tinted horseradish is the de rigour.

2 Likes

Apologies, I over-reacted but this is a hair trigger for me.

Much of parenting revolves around building trust in your children and having empathy for them.

This video demonstrates neither of those traits.

1 Like

In these comments, people who would call the Department of Social Services on Calvin’s Dad. Lighten up, what if the little girl enjoyed the wasabi? My oldest did as a wee one(he is a chili addict nowadays), and my littlest eats freaking lemons. Kids need bumps and stings to learn about the world, too.

3 Likes

ok. remove the “dangerous” spicy horseradish from the mix.

My daughter at 18 months (give or take) was given baby food spinach by me. She hated it. She spit out every bit I gave her and from that moment until she turned 4ish…would not eat anything green. The “trust” you speak of was broken between us giving her green food and her thinking it was that horrible mushy green stuff again.

Does this mean I am an awful parent? Hardly.

I get your position, and I agree…there are trust barriers we need to build and nurture with our children. Allowing your kid to try spicy food is not high on my list of “you’re an awful parent who broke your kids trust”. You are determining this parent’s entire sense of empathy and care for their kid based on a 33 sec video. I think that really is over reacting to it. Apology accepted.

4 Likes

THIS. My youngest loves sucking on lemons too.

Like I said to @Grazza allowing your kid to try spicy food is not like allowing them to stick a fork in an electrical socket or to grab a red hot pan. Wasabi or vinegar may be unpleasant but they are not harmful (when ingested…its not like she was rubbing it into her eyes).

My kids have all sipped wine, whiskey, beer…at times comical reactions (My daughter thinks bourbon is the drink of the devil :slight_smile:) and these are those kinds of bumps and stings that help them learn.

3 Likes

Very cool. I’m actually going to Japan in May for the first time, super exciting… hoping maybe i can enjoy some real wasabi but if not that’s ok :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Tasty tasty tasty drink of the devil.

6 Likes

my reply to her was “Just remember your father is an evil evil man” :wink:

5 Likes

Perspicacious kid!

1 Like

The powder is horrible. If you want “real”, go to the local Japanese supermarket (like A Mistuwa, a Nijiya, a Marukai etc…), and see if they have some (in the produce section).

The volatiles are, well…, volatile, so you have to grate it immediately before serving.

Real wasabi is an entirely different beast from the dyed horseradish you usually get (i.e. anything prepackaged, or not in a sushi place where it’s being grated in front of you).

And yeah, giving it to a kid that age is a dick move, even if they’re curious.

Excellent parenting. I’d have done the same, except putting it on the internet for all the judgy types to judge it.

4 Likes

I knew a guy growing up who wasn’t affected by capsaicin. I don’t know if it translated to other spice compounds, but he could eat ghost peppers like canned peaches. Maybe him being a diagnosed psychopath had something to do with it.

1 Like

While Jean Reno in the movie was not supposed to be a psychopath, both the scene I posted and the name of the movie are certainly meant to be statements about his character.

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.