Child with nonverbal autism surprises mom by singing 'Old Town Road'

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2019/06/07/child-with-nonverbal-autism-su.html

7 Likes

Until he hates it! :laughing:

2 Likes

Music is very, very weird, our brains are built for it.
Alzheimer’s patients who can’t speak, can sing or play piano.
Dilbert creator Scott Adams had idiopathic (meaning they don’t know why) loss of his voice, but could still sing, and the singing was used as therapy to help him get speaking back.
Personally, I know that huge tracts of land in my skull are dedicated to memorization of music – which is why commercial cuts to hit music bug me so much. My superpower is recognizing songs being played in noisy rooms – can’t hear a word being spoken, but I can tell you what’s on the background music. If only I could use that power for the good of the world.

21 Likes

This is a wonderful thing.

@joelfinkle I’m right there with you. Can’t shut it out even if I try. And if I hear some shit cover… I’ve made scenes in public is all I’m saying.

12 Likes

I had a friend that had a profound stutter. She would get a loud verbal click and stammer and fumble words and have to leave her mouth open sometimes to get a phrase out.

I asked her about it once, and she started singing while explaining to me that she didn’t stutter when singing. Then she got really close up to me and she whispered that didn’t stutter when she whispered, either.

We are weird wonderful creatures.

23 Likes

Hearing her beautiful little baby boy’s voice, I can imagine her joy. Music and song can reach into places where the common spoken word will never touch. Perhaps he won’t tire of that song, his mind works far differently than the majority of people. He may respond in his own unique way and good for him for finding a way to open some doors. Sing on little Man, good for you and your family.

12 Likes

Going to link the official music video for Old Town Road here for the few who havn’t seen it. Mostly because I like it (c’mon that wild west stuff is great)

12 Likes

Well, there’s “Mary Had a Little Lamb”, and then there’s “Mary Had a Little Lamb”.

2 Likes

For a moment I thought that was an explanation of his support of Donald Trump.

@anon72705028 I stutter over punchlines and if I’m asked to repeat something I’ve just said; so I guess that my one is based on stress.

@Amstrad What a great fun video that is. I’ve not seen it before. Thank you.

8 Likes

If this is the good that comes from this inane song, then it was all worth it (but just barely).

1 Like

What @euansmith said. Thank you.

1 Like

I have conversed with foreigners whose spoken English is so heavily accented as to be almost unintelligible (at least by me) and yet who can sing English lyrics perfectly with no trace of an accent at all. Different processes, both physically and mentally.

5 Likes

That put the twinkle back in my eye, thanks BB!

6 Likes

Has any of us ever thanked you for the amount of contributions that you make to this board ?

Papasan, thank you for being on this board and being a giver of gifs and smiles and one liners for miles.

8 Likes

Seconded. THIS is boing boing, everyone. What it was 10 years ago, and occasionally in the age of dumpf.

There are so many wonderful things in the world never forget there is joy and hope, find the good and bring it here.

:grin:

7 Likes

Dame Ms. Kier from Deeee-Lite sings perfect English but her spoken English is the heaviest Noo Yawk accent I’ve ever heard.

2 Likes

Diplo wins again

2 Likes

@anon72705028 @RandomDude

That’s a fine sentiment to pass on to me, I truly appreciate ALL that contribute here on BB, may we all find our way in these troubling times, there’s light at the end on this tunnel.

Papasan

3 Likes

The story behind this song’s creation and rise to fame is kind of fascinating, and a case study in post-modern internet pastiche.

5 Likes

https://twitter.com/freeyourmindkid/status/1132029063948845056?s=21

Her speaking voice is awesome. :smile:

3 Likes