China's lunar rover to investigate mysterious cube on the dark side of the Moon

Lunar Love Shack?

4 Likes

Would have been a more interesting question had it been installed outside the administration building.

9 Likes

I don’t actually remember anything the human characters did having much effect

It didn’t seem to matter which tribe of humans accidentally activated the Monolith Network

OTOH one answer to “what would the USSR do with the Star Gate” was the film Solaris

7 Likes

Probably just as well, wouldn’t do for administrators to start bashing each others’ brains out with a tapir femur.

4 Likes

the real trip is realizing that the apes at the start of 2001 were the same ones from planet of the apes, devolved just like the humans before them, and the monolith was something from george taylor’s* time

( * charlton heatons’s character. who’s name i had to look up. :confused: discovering in the process that rod serling co-wrote the screenplay. something that makes perfect sense. )

4 Likes

Heston.

Also, Daniel Richter would like a word.

3 Likes

While we’re at it, in my experience an astonishing amount of people don’t realize that the jump cut in 2001 bridging a couple of million years just jumps from one weapon system (sturdy bone) to another weapon system (orbiting nuclear launch platform). Huge technological progress, but still the old “who has a bigger stick and can hit harder with it” dynamic.

5 Likes

As Irving Finkel has pointed out, after thousands of years since Sumeria, we’re still just writing on tablets with a stylus. Better and better tools to do the same dismal things.

7 Likes

I was previously a Filing Goblin, and now I am a Spreadsheet Goblin; is that evolution?

3 Likes

Oh great.
Aliens, just what we need in this hell world.

2 Likes

Damn! Busted! Now I’m going to have to move it again…

3 Likes

Now I want to know the real reason for the magnificent monster visiting Earth.

3 Likes

I’m more interested in the fact that it’s going to take 2 - 3 months to drive 260 feet.

Who’s driving? My dad?

2 Likes

Those things are slow. On purpose. No pit crew, no AA, not to mention considerable lag in telemetry - you want to drive very, very careful where no thing has driven before.

I get that but you’ve never seen my dad drive.

Many years ago we had a bad snow storm, I called my daughter to remind her to take it slow. She called me later and said “papa just passed me” I told her she could pick up the pace.

I doubt he’s even made it past the welcome center in heaven.

I love that Big Bang clip though.

4 Likes

MPFC__2001

3 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.