China's Mars rover sent home a selfie and it looks like a scene from WALL-E

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2021/06/15/chinas-mars-rover-sent-home-a-selfie-and-it-looks-like-a-scene-from-wall-e.html

6 Likes

… did it have a detachable wireless camera that it used? and how would it go about retrieving it?

(unless it’s faked, that is…)

1 Like

Yep! Sure did:

4 Likes

If there is life on Mars, the Dutch will find it

What happens when you land on the bad side of the planet

4 Likes

Looks to be Arizona, mid July, possibly August.

11 Likes

we are getting closer to this…

4 Likes

Glad that clip was included. People tend to forget that WALL-E’s main job was waste management. Earth looked like a huge garbage dump. Let’s hope all future Mars and/or space projects include a cleanup phase. Those are the scenes from WALL-E that really need to be used as a model, before the amount of junk all around us reaches the levels in the film.

7 Likes

Would you ask this as well if it was a NASA photo?

3 Likes

Only if Stanley Kubrick were still alive.

2 Likes

Yes; at the time I was not aware that a detachable camera was part of the payload.

This is a selfie from NASA 's Curiosity rover:

There is no detachable camera on Curiosity. :wink:

This is NASA’s latest rover, Perseverance, which carries the small Ingenuity helicopter. Here’s a selfie featuring both of them:

Again, though, no detachable camera. Just digital magicks. :upside_down_face:

4 Likes

My strategy for Mars would be to seed it with Truffle spores and later, providing they don’t grow into Triffids, send in those Boston Robotics dogs to harvest them. The proceeds would be used to fund further exploration.

2 Likes

Who is this “WALL-E” of which you speak?

images

3 Likes

Definitely felling the “WALL-E” vibe in that pic. :slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like

Thought the same, way more Johnny 5 than WALL-E

2 Likes

For me, when the talking starts is the point where PIXAR seem to loose their heart

1 Like

Nonsense. Those are pictures taken by Venusian tourists as any fule kno

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.