Chinese kids posing as “American Teens” in front of blue lockers at Ikea

Because in our country public transportation sucks.

It would be cost prohibitive for private companies to maintain a fleet a busses for use twice a day nine months of the year so each school district comes up with their own plan for transportation.

I walked 8 years to Catholic grade school and rode a yellow bus to Catholic High School until I got my own car. The bus was awful, no supervision so a lot of bullying went on to and from school.

Our High School served part of Detroit, those kids got bus passes to ride city buses to school. 40 years ago the city bus system was fairly reliable, today, not so much.

I think yellow school buses have to do with safety.

4 Likes

Canada has dedicated school busses as well. They are built differently because it’s a different job. The seats are arranged differently to hold lots of small humans in a seated arrangement, more than a standard city bus would. Also school busses are only needed part of the year so you don’t want to have extra city busses (which are much more expensive and higher maintenance) sitting around waiting to do that job. The school busses here are private contractors as well, but they use these special busses that are designed to do the job at hand as efficiently as possible. School buses are much more primitive and cheaply built than city busses because it’s a much lighter duty application. They run short routes exactly twice a day, so they are very simple steel boxes with vinyl seats in them, simpler engines, simple single-axle drivetrains, etc. Surprisingly, they have outstanding safety records, which you would not expect to look at them.

I think it all makes perfect sense. :woman_shrugging:

8 Likes

Huh, I thought that was the standard anime girl look of the past 20 years or more, and always assumed it was a Japanese school girl uniform. Is it different?

1 Like

I have that one all the time. Although, to be honest, it is based loosely on my master’s degree, where I genuinely did miss most of a class because I kept forgetting to go to it.

NYTimes just had a story on this exact same dream:

Realizing I haven’t attended one of my classes in months BUT I can’t find or access my schedule anywhere or figure out where the class is

Or, more specific to the lockers

I am a few credits away from graduating from college, and I realize I have a Russian history test that I have not studied for at all. My books are stuck in a locker outside an unfamiliar classroom, and when I try to open it I can’t remember the combination

1 Like

Also rural application. When my family moved to the west side of Wichita in 1972, we were right on the edge of the city limits (the major thoroughfare we sat next to was the line). The nearest city bus stop was several blocks away, but it wouldn’t matter because it would take hours to cross town and then again I’d have to walk a few blocks to get from the bus stop to the school. All that for a 5 year-old is pretty demanding.

2 Likes

I’m not sure but isn’t that look based on Britney Spears Hit me baby one more time video.

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.