Chinese law professor's social media denunciation of facial recognition in the Beijing subway system

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2019/12/10/beijing-metro-2.html

4 Likes

Interesting, especially coming from someone within the Great Firewall. I hope Prof Dongyan is not disappeared because of her insightfulness.

EDIT her, not his

11 Likes

Here there is no law against it and they don’t have to tell you they’re doing it, so I assume they are.

3 Likes

As you can learn from Cory’s post, in Chinese names the family name comes first and Prof. Lao is a woman.

3 Likes

Well, it’s a good thing they aren’t one of our major trading partners and don’t own 1.1 Trillion of our debt, so we can support the professor and tell the Central Committee to go stuff it!

Oh, no wait, the opposite.

P.S. A few days ago someone said here said that to dislike the Chinese government as cheap fascists and brutes was ‘racist.’ Maybe they can tell the professor that.

2 Likes

She’s toast, I fear.

1 Like

I guess China right now is a testing ground to see just how dystopian things can get with surveillance technology. We’ll get to see if there’s some point where society breaks under the weight of constant, ubiquitous surveillance and automated systems of control, or if it all actually works (or not) in a stable state.

2 Likes

China is driving the world towards a perpetual panopticon total surveillance society, and we are funding it with our debt and acquiescence.

Hell, we’re selling them more than half their tech.

I want surveillance capitalism in Silicon Valley to end already

2 Likes

/me Dumb*ss. My mistake.

1 Like

I predict a success rate of about 0.00001 % here.

1 Like

It may be that a typical Chinese fast-food worker or whoever would refrain from voicing political opinions, but it’d be silly to even have law professors if they weren’t expected to have thoughts on what is or isn’t legal. China can’t be completely monolithic.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.