Report from a massive Chinese surveillance tech expo, where junk-science "emotion recognition" rules

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2019/11/01/sue-lin-wong.html

2 Likes

Reading the below tweet, I can’t help but think of the Jane’s Addiction lyric: “Everybody’s so full of shit.”

The problem with crap AI is not that it gets individuals’ intentions or expressions wrong once every 1000 or so times, but that for one in a thousand people it gets their intentions wrong all the time. The inconvenience (or oppression) is not evenly distribued.

It’s like people with a middle-eastern heritage being chosen for random TSA extra searches every damn time they fly.

1 Like

“One rep told me prisoners’ garment output increased by 10-20% at a prison factory after they installed the company’s surveillance system. They also use “smart beds” to monitor prisoners’ health”
Even in jail, they track you down…
This is scary.
#SayNoToChina
#FreeHK

Eating in the subway?
get another security check, please
Automatic face sorting people in Beijing.

1 Like

The problem is not China. The problem is unfettered corporate capitalism. China is just where it’s happening more quickly and noticeably.

1 Like

I for one welcome our new AI Based Surveillance overlords. What could possibly go wrong?

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.