Chinese police explain how to deal with a knife-wielding attacker

Carrying that much weight, he’s not going to outrun me!

7 Likes

I had an apartment in China that overlooked a police training facility. For the first few weeks, I just thought I had neighbors that liked to set off fireworks hourly. Anything short of tens of thousands of firecrackers, you tend to ignore. But one day I looked out to see who was doing all the celebrating.

It was king of fascinating. They would run different scenarios with attackers, civilians, and police. I couldn’t hear commands, but it ran kind of like red light / green light. There’d be action for a few seconds, then everyone would freeze. After a moment, the action would go, then freeze. Guys would charge with knives, people would flee, guns would fire, bodies would flop, then FREEZE. After about 10 or 15 minutes of this, they’d go back inside until the next scenario an hour later.

I decided it’s a bad idea to run around with a knife in China.

3 Likes
1 Like

Running away is always the safest course of action.

Even if they have a gun.

The numbers don’t lie.

3 Likes

I prefer the term tactical retreat.

7 Likes

“FALL BACK!!” would indeed confuse a mugger or rapist.

1 Like

Yes, but not so fast that it seems that you are afraid, not so slow that it gives the impression that you are mocking him.

I would hope that I would decide it didn’t matter how fast the knife was coming at my eye I am jumping out of the way before I can even wonder.

But in the flight fight or freeze categories, I am a freezer. Flight is definitely most adaptive no matter what type you incline towards.

1 Like

Throw a spoon at them. While they looking at it and wondering what to do, run up and knee them in the groin.

3 Likes
3 Likes

I’m torn between

“There is no spoon.”

and

“The only way to stop a bad guy with a spoon is a good guy with a spoon.”

3 Likes

Ce n’est pas une cuillère. Ça ici, ce est une cuillère.

3 Likes

First let me say that you’re absolutely right- if you see the windup and throw, dodge and run. The thrower probably won’t be skilled enough to anticipate you and aim at where you’re dodging, and even if he is, you can probably still run away with a knife in you.

If the thrower’s truly expert, there’s no windup and little throw, all you’ll see is the draw, so the missile is already in the air. At that point if it’s not flying right at my eye, I can catch it or bat it out of the air faster than I can possibly dodge. This is due both to the neural signalling issues and the difference in mass between my arm and my entire body. Whole body movement is slow, and even though I’m old, my reflexes are still somewhat conditioned.

An arrow to the eye is just a dot that suddenly gets bigger. A flying knife isn’t much better. I can’t parry them, not even the fake ones used in martial arts and sport combat.

I aeem to have gone off on a highly technical fighter digression that doesn’t have anything to do with what normal people should know or do! Sorry!

4 Likes

It was fascinating. We grown up watching bad action movies and we have a lot of misconceptions about fights, guns etc.

I remember reading one person’s opinion on how the terrorist attacks on Charlie Hebdo’s office were a setup. A video that circulated at the time showed a terrorist shooting at a victim. This conspiracy theorist claimed that the poor guy shown in the video had not been hit by a shot, because his body did not jump with the impact of the bullets, as seen in the movies.

Some police officers and military mourned the death and clarified that not everything that is seen in the films is true. We are so accustomed to the feats of movie heroes that we think the real world is like this.

I think this was a shock to many people.

It was funny and enlighteningto read all the topics here. Thanks.

2 Likes

Yeah as I was reading that well written explanation my first thought was wondering whether Keanu could dodge a bullet time shot to the eyes.

2 Likes

But that scene was perfectly plausible. Neo just hacked the Matrix with his nerd powers.

There is no bullet.

2 Likes

That is the secret! But, please, don’t try this at home.

That reminds me of how, all too often, people mistake the sound of nearby gunfire for fireworks, since movie gunshots usually don’t sound like real ones.

1 Like