Chinese police explain how to deal with a knife-wielding attacker

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2018/08/16/chinese-police-explain-how-to.html

6 Likes

That was great. When I was still involved in martial arts we spent a lot of time learning how to control a weapon, disarm an attacker and disable them from using it further. However, the first and most important point we always stressed was “don’t be in that situation and if you are get out immediately”. Good advice.

11 Likes

a good strategy unless…

13 Likes
6 Likes

But what if your attacker is armed with a banana?

12 Likes

This is just a Chinese knock off of an original :wink:

4 Likes

What if he’s got a pointed stick?

8 Likes

it is ok with a knife-wielding attacker. But what if he was a knife-throwing attacker?

4 Likes

Though really - knife throwing is mostly bullshit. It makes an ok distraction to close ground on some one, but it isn’t very lethal.

5 Likes

Even if you hit your target the result is “now your adversary has a knife.”

Not quite as bad a strategy as throwing loaded handguns but it’s up there.

8 Likes

But… But… But… The movies…

4 Likes

You throw them when they are empty. The are heavy and hurt like hell. Don’t believe me? Watch an old Superman, even he ducks out of the way.

7 Likes

Maybe It was made with a kryptonite alloy.

2 Likes

That costume and image are fun, but it appears to be a load of craptastic stamped metal! Not a single forged knife in the lot?

2 Likes

You just look at it. Duh!

5 Likes

You make it disappear?

1 Like

OK, maybe the Chinese police. Don’t do it in Chatsworth, Georgia!

You couldn’t even draw most of them, and none of them could be resheathed. But yeah, still fun!

Mostly, yes. But a truly expert knife thrower could plant one in your eye, which is incredibly hard to catch or block. You can’t intuit the path, speed or tumble of a missile if it’s flying directly at your eye… or at least, I can’t, and I’ve never seen anyone else do it either, other than by pure luck.

1 Like

Lol its still really good advice but thanks for linking this version as well :slight_smile:

And yeah unless you’re actually being jumped and have no option but to defend yourself you always want to disengage and leave the situation. Don’t hesitate, just gtfo.

1 Like

the low-hanging fruit, just for the sake of completeness…

5 Likes
5 Likes