Fun with knives in movies

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2020/09/22/fun-with-knives-in-movies.html

5 Likes

Now you’re karmically constrained to: next do spoons!

5 Likes

Ahhh, I see you’ve played knifey-spoony before.

10 Likes
9 Likes

As a corollary, if anyone is interested in some practical, real-life knife-fighting techniques, this is a great primer:

13 Likes

Totally agree with the vid. Step 1 is to avoid being in a fight or confrontation in the first place. For everyone who is the average joe they won’t have the training to appropriately handle or avoid a knife, even if they knew the perfect way to approach someone wielding it not having regular practice with CQC they’ll likely end up putting themselves in more danger.

The other scenario that could come up is being trapped in a situation with someone randomly attacking you or others with a knife and absolutely being forced to defend yourself. In such a situation there’s just no preparation that can help, throw some shit at them, grab whatever is on hand as a weapon, etc. and just hope for the best.

2 Likes
6 Likes

oh how I love and adore Big Trouble in Little China.

3 Likes

funny how their enemies didn’t have hands :slight_smile:

6 Likes

You’d figure that scene would’ve been used as a call back later on in the movie but it never really sets anything up for a pay off.

Still love the movie tho.

3 Likes

Don’t forget Alien:

12 Likes
2 Likes

Remember, when having a debate (or knife fight), it is important to define the parameters…

8 Likes

C’mon guys!

16 Likes

Personally, I find the little flip Bishop does with the knife at 0:45 (before where you cued it) to be more impressive than the hand thing. Because there’s no camera tricks.

5 Likes
2 Likes

It’s fine to talk about knife scenes… just don’t mention how to sharpen them…

(high pitched whine getting louder as one stares off in the distance and the sound of war slowly gets louder)

5 Likes

Still love the set design for this movie.

8 Likes

Tommy Lee Jones v. Steven Segal!!! I loved this when it came out. It does not hold up.

Apparently I can’t post video links, but do yourself a favor and search “Under Siege Knife Fight” or go to youtube dot com / watch?v=Kf206nMfkJI

I see Eastern Promises is on the list you linked to.
Here’s the scene:

3 Likes