Chipsteaks are unique and delicious, with tremendous protein value

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2020/02/25/chipsteaks-are-unique-and-deli.html

3 Likes

That looks like what we sometimes call “hamburger steak” (or sometimes “chopped steak”) in the US. American chipsteaks are thinly sliced beef, like you’d use to make cheesesteaks, not thinly sliced ground/minced beef.

Love the ad. Benest looks to be right out of Carry On Butcher .

4 Likes

They might have been OK… had they not cooked them to Trump standards.

2 Likes

BackTornGerenuk-size_restricted

4 Likes

Is this where we point out that Jersey isn’t in the UK?

6 Likes

‘Buy some tomorrow. You will love them.’

Sounds like an order.

3 Likes

I think they declined in popularity because, too often, they tasted like the supervision had been relented upon

1 Like

“Salisbury steak” where I grew up. Apparently from a Dr. Salisbury,

not from Salisbury Plain, the army training ground where one might expect to find finely-ground samples of stray local wildlife.

10 Likes

Tastes like despair

4 Likes

I know advertising is nothing but subtle manipulations and turning a want into a need- but this really dropped the subtle part. If this type of advertising was indicative of mid-century Britain, I can get a feel for how Orwell conjured up 1984.

You will find these chip steaks, packed in twos, in our frozen food bins.
You will come to regard them as a very special treat.
Buy some tomorrow.
You will Love them.
And so will all the family.
Remember the name.
Soylent.

4 Likes

Of course they put in decent, trimmed cuts of beef into the hopper and not beaks, claws, hooves, testicles and brain matter… of course they did.

3 Likes

Why do I suspect when he gets home at night his fat, psychopathic wife will thrash him within inches of his life?

9 Likes

Caution: train of thought crossing.
Your excerpt brought to mind the headmaster ‘pudding’ part from Pink Floyd the wall, which makes me think “of course. Authoritarians basically view society like they’re middle schoolers - popular kids to admire, bullies to fear, wimps and nerds to ridicule.” Which then triggers the neurons that hold ‘lord of the flies, which then brings us back to 1984. Pffewww. That sorta turned into ‘last train to darksville.’ 7:50am too early for a whiskey?

2 Likes

How does chipped steak compare with chipped ham from Islay’s?

2 Likes

Screen Shot 2020-02-25 at 8.23.07 AM
(from the in-house training video)

"Do not even consider…filling the hopper…above this line.

Or the consequenceswill be…SEVERE."

2 Likes

oh no
wailing begins
what have you done
rumbling. wailing continues

1 Like

You can’t have any pudding if you don’t eat your chipsteak!

3 Likes

Not an exclusively UK phenomena

2 Likes

The chipsteak machine operator gave us all the one finger salute

Or this abomination…

4 Likes