Christian Science Monitor remains cranky about "Presidents Day"

Sorry, I thought he was wrongly convicted in France like 100 years ago?

3 Likes

Of couse it came not long after Shayā€™s and the shift from the Articles of Confederation, which gave the Fed literally no power and the constitution, which gave the Fed more powers, though still tempered somewhat.

1 Like

My North Carolina brother-in-law would try to shock us visiting Brits by calling MLK Day Robert E. Lee Day. That, and the Confederate flag on the gun-rack in the back of the pick-up. Yeah, it was pretty rural, and pretty white.

1 Like

Having a holiday named after former boxers sounds great.

Iā€™m going to suggest Britain has Chris Eubank Day.

3 Likes

It certainly depends on what part of North Carolina youā€™re in - Asheville and the research triangle tend to be at least purple, if not blue. But you get into the more rural areas, itā€™s certainly more conservative. I guess the big difference is that the ATL has a much wider reach than either Asheville or even the Research Triangle area. And, well, South Carolinaā€¦ yeah. Thereā€™s Charlsetonā€¦ Columbia ainā€™t too bad.

OMG, who is that chap? A boxer you say? Smashing good newsā€¦ Seriously, he looks cool!

1 Like

Nothing wrong about it. North was a terrible movie.

2 Likes

Moon over Parador? A fucking masterpiece.

1 Like

I hope he wears the bowler and monocle whilst boxing.

2 Likes

He wasnā€™t a boxer, he was a pugilitht.

You need to look up some interviews with him on YouTube.

3 Likes

MLKā€™s Birthday didnā€™t hit the books until the mid-80s, while I remember getting two days off from school for the presidential birthdays until the mid-70s.

1 Like

George Foreman? Clothing designer. I got a suit from his clothing label at the fat-guy store.

Youā€™re right, my mistake; there was a gap between mushing Lincolnā€™s Birthday into Presidentsā€™ Day and later adding MLK Day. Itā€™s been a while.

2 Likes

Sigh.

Here is Louisiana:

ā€œthe third Monday in January, Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr.'s Birthday; January 19, Robert E. Lee Dayā€

They occasionally can coincide.

http://www.legis.state.la.us/lss/lss.asp?doc=74097

1 Like

You know, they donā€™t have atrocities like that in Santa Flan.

Put Mr. T in it and I will watch it.

1 Like

Actually we might as well go with Adams, if you want to celebrate a president/founding father that had a real moral backbone. Compared to Adams, Franklin was kind of waffle-y.