Christopher Lee, 1922-2015

[Read the post]

3 Likes

He had a good, long life. To our benefit, he spent most of it on-screen.

19 Likes

Christopher steps forward into heaven over the twitching corpse of St Peter. Vincent Price and Peter Cushing await him.

“Leave God to me”

19 Likes

“A distant cousin and frequent golfing partner of Bond creator Ian Fleming, Lee was the author’s personal pick for the role of Dr. No (1962) in the first 007 film.”

Rest in creepy peace old friend!

4 Likes

Before I had educated myself in the wonders of Hammer films and Lee’s other works he stood out for me in Gremlins 2, holding his own against the Brain Gremlin, which was no mean feat.

Hail and farewell Mr. Lee.

2 Likes

The only man with the presence to be a badder double-0 agent than James Bond.

4 Likes

That voice!

His voice was “low and melodious, its very sound an enchantment […] it was a delight to hear the voice speaking, all that it said seemed wise and reasonable, and desire woke in them by swift agreement to seem wise themselves … for those whom it conquered the spell endured while they were far away and ever they heard that soft voice whispering and urging them.”

The Two Towers Book III Chapter X p.222

3 Likes

I grew up watching Hammer films. I’m gutted. He was the best. Rock on, Christopher.

2 Likes

Aw man he was one truly awesome person.
He will be missed. I wanna go binge on Hammer films now.

1 Like

Strangely, the first thing that pops into my mind whenever I hear his name was when he hosted Saturday Night Live back when the show was still hip.

“Ladies and gentlemen, meet Loaf. …I’m sorry; Meat Loaf.”

A subtle wit.

3 Likes

I was surprised to learn that Mr. Lee was on the cover of the “Band on the Run” album, along with James Coburn.

2 Likes

Thank you, thank you, thank you. I thought surely you had inexplicably confused Lee with Tim Curry, but I’m so happy to be wrong.

4 Likes

Not pictured, St Peter…

9 Likes

Christopher Lee also voiced Death in the animated versions of Terry Pratchett’s Wyrd Sisters and Soul Music, and consequently becomes the voice I hear every time I read a novel that features Death and his Words That Fall Like Tombstones.

3 Likes

Cushing and Lee were together in a great and greatly under-appreciated film called Doctor Terror’s House of Horrors. Vincent Price didn’t join them on that particular outing, but Donald Sutherland did.

2 Likes

It’s amazing how strong his voice was on the heavy metal Christmas Carols he was making in his 90s.

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.