Chuck Palahniuk hid a timecapsule in his former home and the current owners found it

Originally published at: http://boingboing.net/2017/08/08/chuck-palahniuk-hid-a-timecaps.html

2 Likes

What we hoped for in Rob’s safe.

:neutral_face:

26 Likes

They got Chuck, we got Tyler Durden…

5 Likes

I bet when he put it there, he didn’t think it’d be found after only 10 years.

12 Likes

No soap ?

3 Likes

Very classy. It would be interesting to see how long it takes to get discovered again.

1 Like

Of course, the first rule of buying a house from Chuck Palahniuk is …

4 Likes

Agreed. It’s a neat thing to find today but I do wish they hadn’t found it so soon. This would be an incredible find 70 years or so from now.

2 Likes

The next owners of my house will encounter a similar time capsule, but not find it nearly as cool. :wink:

4 Likes

The first rule of remodeling is you don’t talk about remodeling.

2 Likes

Oh shit, Pahlaniuk? DO NOT OPEN IT!

3 Likes

In an “old Backgammon box”.

I don’t know if that signifies disinterest, or a playful sense of humor.

Are you kidding me? That’s like… 90 bucks on ebay!

Cool, an authentic porcelain Rob Beschizza doll.

8 Likes

He sold the house 2007, but I think the time capsule was left around 2001 or 2002. The letter says Lullaby would be published within the next year and it was published in 2002.

3 Likes

hecep
Are you kidding me? That’s like… 90 bucks on ebay!

The first picture in the album isn’t the doll I used. I picked up a cheap one from a used store for $4 (doubt it was worth even that - unlikely to be $90 on eBay).

Still. I imagine he hoped it would be there for decades. People who make time capsules, I would think, hope that they’re not found until long after they’re gone. But thanks for the clarification.

Doesn’t the plot of one of his later books (Diary?) deal with a renovator who seals off rooms in houses and scrawls profanities over the walls?

This is seems really sweet, but there’s probably a bunch of messed up stuff that’ll surface shortly enough.

1 Like

Last time I helped in a bathroom tear-down all we found was a big pile of old razor blades. :frowning:

1 Like

Timecapsule exposes Chuck Palahniuk’s white bread good nature.

1 Like