Chuck Wendig, Apple Reviewer

I kid, I kid. Your implicit /s was there. As was mine, I hope!

Apples are serious business. Unlike bananas.

Though I’m with Chuck – the crabapple-sized heirlooms are tasty but way too small!

1 Like

Yeah, Pink Lady is our current supermarket go to as well. (And I’m not such an apple aficionado that I go around seeking out special varietals or anything.) Maybe Granny Smith for baking (although PL are good there, too).

I don’t have enough likes for this comment.
(Edit: for the record, Mrs. bce HATES Granny Smith…:frowning: )

If you ever head to Latin America, check out all the banana varieties they have. It makes our single Cavendish bananas seem boring, tasteless, and ugly. For example:

1 Like

Everyone is entitled to their own opinion, but Honeycrisp is the greatest apple of all time and you can FIGHT ME if you disagree! (Pounds chest, shakes fist at sky.)

Fun fact, something like 90% of Honeycrisps are consumed in Minnesota, or at least were when I read that factoid at some point in the past.

1 Like

I haven’t gotten the chance to go to Latin America yet, but I was happy to discover that bananas are a staple in Tanzania and showed up at every meal in at least three common varieties: “sweet bananas” (look like a half-sized Cavendish but much sweeter), red bananas (like the ones you pictured), and “green bananas” (starchy and not at all sweet, but softer than a plantain, used in stews).

1 Like

Try a Baldwin apple if you can find it.

I like Baldwin apples but they have to be crisp. Also Roxbury Russets. Macintosh is the go to apple if you buy in stores, again only if crisp.

An apple has to bite back when you bite it and the juice has to wet your lips.

I know! And the owner of the property was notoriously reclusive and cranky. But we seemed to have gotten away scott free.

1 Like

He mentioned Braeburn after his grocery store list.

“I should note that there are other apples I like more than what’s listed here — I’ll take a Jonathan, Jonagold, or Braeburn any day of the week.”

Perhaps in his neck of the woods they aren’t common in grocery stores. They are common supermarket fare in New England. I’ve had an apple for lunch every work day for the past two decades and more often than not, it’s a Braeburn. I’m also partial to Macoun and Pink Lady. He was too diplomatic on the Honeycrisp, they’re sweet and crunchy but they sure as hell ain’t apple flavored.

1 Like

My mother gave me something called a “Juici” apple (oh, wait, it’s got an upside down “i” to be cute - “JuicỊ” I guess) which I hadn’t heard of before. It is relatively new and it’s a cross between a Honeycrisp and a Braeburn. It can take being stored well, so I assume it will be getting more popular in the next few years.

It’s not bad, but different sections of the apple give me different flavors. That’s really weird.

I do most of my apple eating in the fall since we go to so many orchards to pick them. One thing that I’ve noticed is that they all vary from year to year. When you try them as you go, you always find one that surprises you.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.