Chuck Wendig, Apple Reviewer

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2019/01/15/get-back-to-work-chuck.html

2 Likes

The Lives of Granny Smith?

1 Like

Pink Lady apples are really, really good. Sweet with just the right tartness to them. We picked some at one of our local orchards this year. We were going for Northern Spies, but we tried a Pink Lady and left with about eight pounds of them. Went back for more too.

6 Likes

Granny Smith is the only apple I actually like. If there were an apple tarter than Granny Smith, I’d like that one too.

5 Likes

Depends on the purpose. Pink Lady is definitely my preferred munching apple, and is the only one my picky 9 year old will deign to eat.

Granny Smith’s are excellent for roast pork. Cut a half dozen of them into slices, throw a pork roast on top, roast in oven for excellent juicy deliciousness.

3 Likes

Hell yeah chuck!
In '17 I too ate and blogged my way through our local farmer’s 60 different apples. I also made my wife eat most of them and review them which she was not necessarily thrilled about…

Look at my apples http://www.lowellstudio.com/blog/

5 Likes

I remember climbing over a stone wall with a friend (we would have been about 7) and stealing what we called “snow apples”; red, red skin, and snowy white inside and sweet as candy. I don’t know what variety they actually were.

3 Likes

This was amusing, but he got a bunch of things wrong. Dead wrong. First, Red Delicious should be dead last, second Honey Crisps are great, and Granny Smiths are pretty good. How could Chuck not know that??

I recently started seeing Salish apples in supermarkets around here (I think they are only available in British Columbia right now). They are fantastic and have displaced Honey Crisp as my favorite.

If you ever happen to be in Vancouver in the fall (and you like apples), try very hard to make it to the apple festival at UBC. They have a tasting area where you can try 50 varieties of heirloom apples (and they throw in Red Delicious just for fun). It’s truly amazing the different tastes that you can get from just apples.

2 Likes

Great write up! I didn’t know half of these varieties. Would love to try them all.

Did not expect this to be about fruit.

3 Likes

I want him to try Braeburn apples. Then I want him to say they are the best. Because if he doesn’t I will have to slap him, and I don’t want to do that.

I’d also accept Arkansas Black, except they aren’t a supermaket apple as much as a only-one-store-within-50-miles-has-them-and-they-are-$10-a-pound apple.

2 Likes

Do you feel like you’ve been cursed by a witch in any way? Because this is like, how half of every fairytale starts.

5 Likes

Just what we need, another Apple Fanboy.

5 Likes

eating a pink lady apple right now. i have an apple or two almost every day, the sweet tart crisp flavorful apples are my favorite. i had an amazing fuji the other day. what a great snack, no wrapper or packaging, easily stashed in most packs.

Love Autumn when you can get a decent fresh apple – Cox if you are in a supermarket and a nice bit of Cheddar to go with it. They might keep well but they do not travel.

I like humor. Humor is fun. It makes laughing.

WHY DOES EVERY APPLE THREAD DEVOLVE INTO FIGHTING!!!111

(For the record, unlike Chuck, I enjoy a nice, crisp, tart Granny Smith, especially in fall, but agree that all of the wildly different heirloom apples I can get from the farm market are worth trying.)

I’ll stick with Ambrosia apples. Originated in BC on a single tree and the perfect balance of crispness, tart, sweet and very juicy.

2 Likes

Indeed. Braeburn all the way.

1 Like

Grrrrrrr…I will fight to the death for my apples.

(Though maybe my implicit /s wasn’t there.)

1 Like