Church raffle on July 4th featured an AR-15 assault rifle

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2024/07/09/church-raffle-on-july-4th-featured-an-ar-15-assault-rifle.html

6 Likes

So the prince of peace would be ok with this? Maybe they should have beaten it into a plowshare before raffling it off.

21 Likes

:roll_eyes:

14 Likes

Don’t remember them Matthew 5:39 or Matthew 26:52. They only like these verses:

Matthew 10:34 - 34 Think not that I am come to send peace on earth: I came not to send peace, but a sword.

10 Likes

The Prince of Piece

10 Likes

For them The Prince of Piercing Armor Anti-Materiel ammo rounds.

8 Likes

oblig-o-meme

10 Likes

Also:

This is why I call death cultists like this pastor “Xtianists” instead of “Christians”.

15 Likes

This is almost a dog-bites-man news story. Gun raffles are very common in rural America; a quick google search will pull up a bunch of churches auctioning guns.

3 Likes

Why an AR 15?
Everyone knows Jesus’ favorite gun is a …nail gun

13 Likes
8 Likes

In the U.S., sure. But that’s exactly why we need to hear this story, in the hope that enough Americans will eventually come to their senses about how messed up the country’s gun and religious cultures are.

4 Likes

“God is my co-pilot, but Jesus rides shotgun”

4 Likes

I love when the city I live in shows up for all of the wrong reasons.

I thought this was actually one of the moderate ones. Well, I won’t make that mistake again.

1 Like

WWJS (Who would Jesus Shoot?)

6 Likes

7 Likes

To the point where they are the same thing.

1 Like

we want to be able to give a house away because these are things that people need.

Yeah, people need houses. They don’t need fucking AR-15s, you fuckwit.

(Maybe a sip of Coke to @smulder)

3 Likes

A gun raffle is a signifier of rural America. It is through marketing that others can be persuaded to take up that signifier as their “own”.

1 Like

My second favourite Snoop scene. The first being when she stands up off that swing after waiting to whack that guy. Just the set of her shoulders as she moves, her sheer presence is utterly chilling. She did an amazing job with that role.

2 Likes