Church under investigation after worshiper pinned down to ‘pray the gay away’

This sounds like a situation with the distinct possibility of going from “slain in the spirit” to just plain “slain” much more quickly than one would like.

Indeed it’s pretty much what you’d expect shortly before 9ne of those “honor killing endorsed by assorted local dignitaries and everyone clams up when outside law enforcement finally shows up” stories.

4 Likes

Exactly, and in the catholic church it isn’t a sin to be born gay. But if you’re myopic and propagandistic and you’re writing a one-dimensional article to rally your ass-kissers, none of that matters because ‘Christianity’ and ‘church’ are all one, grey, lifeless entity to be mocked. Because, you know… ‘do what I say and think what I think or you’re not one of the cool kids.’

1 Like

So if, for hundreds of years, generations of actual priests and ministers (probably rabbis too) have been unable to pray the pedophilia away, what chance to a handful of laymen stand of changing sexual orientation? Sexual orientation is probably the most deeply hardwired, difficult to change, human behavioral trait that there is. Trying “cure” gays is like trying to cure people of eating food.

3 Likes

If praying away the gay worked - they could just pray for gay folk from somewhere else far away from them.

5 Likes

Not sure which of the many flagged comments you are referring to here, but I don’t think we are discussing the same comment. At least, I hope not. Otherwise, my flippant remarks (which, incidentally, were restored by an admin, and then promptly re-flagged by the community), intended as satire, must have been sloppily worded indeed to be (mis?) construed so wildly outside their intent! Like I said, satire is tricky—both to write and to determine. I don’t believe anyone was complaining—that was certainly not my intention—regardless: no offense is taken at the flagging. All is understandable and understood.

1 Like

Yes, those who can hide in plain sight point at those who don’t look & act like they do – a total act of insecurity and inferiority. And a bit of cowardice. Yeah, they’re rather kick the easy targets so they themselves aren’t outed for being sinners.

I’m telling you. Because you are perpetuating harm by advocating that the targeted educate those harmkng them.

12 Likes

I get the feeling this church would treat it in the same way as they treated these men, if they thought they would get away with it. They have diverged from Christ’s teachings.

John 8:2-7 New International Version (NIV)

2 At dawn he appeared again in the temple courts, where all the people gathered around him, and he sat down to teach them. 3 The teachers of the law and the Pharisees brought in a woman caught in adultery. They made her stand before the group 4 and said to Jesus, “Teacher, this woman was caught in the act of adultery. 5 In the Law Moses commanded us to stone such women. Now what do you say?” 6 They were using this question as a trap, in order to have a basis for accusing him.

But Jesus bent down and started to write on the ground with his finger. 7 When they kept on questioning him, he straightened up and said to them, “Let any one of you who is without sin be the first to throw a stone at her.”

6 Likes

That’s why the Jesus-approved best practice is to cast the demons into a herd of pigs which then jump into the sea and drown. https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Exorcism_of_the_Gerasene_demoniac

1 Like

Pretty sure Australia and the USA were refusing to accept Jewish and gay refugees from Europe during the second world war. Possibly other countries too.

3 Likes

If premeditation makes the penalty worse they should add that, too. They invited them to church before they did this!

7 Likes

A post was merged into an existing topic: Religion is a lie

Is it okay to try to “beat out the bigot” on someone?

2 Likes

It’d be nice if it were that simple. But typically the best you can do is wait for bigots to die so that decent people are free of their shitty minds.

4 Likes

Why?
I mean, when you get a bunch of fervent people in the same room with similar radicalized ideals, they tend to egg each other on. Group psychology and all that.

1 Like

Oh no, it’s the abusive idiots who are left behind. Which actually solves the problem.

Yep. It’s usually just a waste of time. I’m pretty sure that we would’ve had to wait out my Nazi grandfather (offset by my Nazis-are-idiots-grandmother, thankfully) to die, if he hadn’t died during the war.

Otherwise: all relatives with bigoted ideas came around on their own when abstract “it is known” collide with reality (hi mom, I’m lesbian or “huh, brown skinned people are just, y’know, people).

Because actually having to decide to disown a relative or neighbor or to consider physical harm was such an outrageous idea to them that they checked their prejudices and discarded them.

But you likely won’t reach anyone whose views are so entranced that they are willing to abuse to harm their kin, their kids even.

Your chances are much better with new people than with asshole family.

1 Like

Harumph. This is how they tried to handle a legal adult, who had already come out as gay. What’s their method for dealing with adolescents?

The investigators should look at that, also teen suicide rates and causes.

4 Likes

At some level, churches have always freaked me out anyhow. The thought of a congregation moving en masse towards “sinners” in their midst after a hate-filled tirade of a sermon… yeah. I’ll pass on that scene.

I’m grateful it didn’t escalate.

(blurred for graphic violence)

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.