Vintage ads featuring the World Trade Center

Originally published at: Vintage ads featuring the World Trade Center | Boing Boing

3 Likes

Rather eerie that a couple of the ads feature jetliners. :flushed:

[edit] Rob fixed his typo! :clap:

4 Likes

One of the most effective trailers ever featured the twin towers in a brilliant way. Mini-movie unto itself, I nearly peed myself with excitement after the big reveal.

8 Likes

Check out the film The Hot Rock (1972) if you want to see some great aerial footage of the towers under construction. Then read the book (my dad wrote it).

9 Likes

Cintage

Um, @beschizza?

Just kidding; we know that C is next to V on the keyboard…

4 Likes

Woooo… there is some really eerie energy coming from those adverts; hindsight has a strange, distorting effect.

5 Likes
4 Likes

I recall the Channel 11 ad campaign. A marketing exec is tasked with a new advertisement for their channel. He’d run around NYC trying to think of a way to get the word our about channel 11. Always ending with him standing in front of the towers but perplexed and out of ideas.

6 Likes

9 Likes

I have enjoyed a bunch of his books.

5 Likes

(Love both the movie and the book!)

Also, see other Redford movie Three Days of the Condor for more WTC visuals.

4 Likes

He was good at his day job

4 Likes

When they were completed in 1973, the World Trade Centers towers were considered ugly because they were just glass and concrete boxes. Over time, though, they became as iconic a part of New York as the Empire State Building—maybe more so because, being downtown, you could get some nice shots of them in front of the water, whereas the Empire State Building was stuck in Midtown.

3 Likes

And since they were taller than the Empire State Building…

5 Likes

I’m almost sad that the typo got corrected.

1 Like

My desk in 1WTC was on the 103rd floor looking out at Staten Island and the Statue of Liberty. The view was amazing. We often used to look down on small planes flying down the Hudson - strange feeling to be seeing them from above.

5 Likes

I have to admit I’d never actually heard of a World Trade Centre until 2001, and while I’d probably seen pictures, I had no idea how much bigger the towers were than the buildings around them.

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.