Beautiful commercial captures the experience of dream flying

Originally published at: Beautiful commercial captures the experience of dream flying | Boing Boing

1 Like

And they drifted off over the sea, never to be seen again.

10 Likes

Lovely. And an improvement on hoverboards, which don’t work on water.

9 Likes
8 Likes

Flying, you say? Like this?

2 Likes

I was flying last night, but I think that was the shrooms.

7 Likes

I think they were using wires…but that still looks fun as fuck!!

4 Likes

That’s actually not terribly dissimilar to the dreams of flying I’ve had. Sort of out of control a bit, unable to get really high, sometimes legs dragging. Less head over heels though.

Looked like a total blast. I love those dreams.

4 Likes

Nice.

Obligatory XKCD:

13 Likes

My guess is it was from an indoor skydive place - you could see the wind on the looser clothes pretty well.

All of that creative human energy and artistic output, here yoked in service to $700 sweaters.

Lately, I’ve been thinking those sorts of thoughts more often - I’m not sure why - whenever I see an advertisement with particular aesthetic appeal, or some amount of ingenuity.

7 Likes

I always run into overhead wires while dream flying.

2 Likes

For the curious, here is some rehearsal/behind-the-scenes footage (sorry for the vertical video).

10 Likes

Hey, it’s a good thought to have. How are we being manipulated by marketing all the time. All those millions, even billions, spent to sell stuff to people. Stuff they probably don’t really need, or to promote a brand that’s no better/worse than any other. Waste of human ingenuity and creativity, but if it pays their bills, more power to them.

Mostly, I find marketing doesn’t really work on me. I loved the ad for what it was, not for what it was trying to sell. Can’t even remember what the product was at this point.

4 Likes

Reminds me of the beautifully shot “Lake Fight” scene in the move Hero:

4 Likes

In one of my most memorable dreams, I was showing friends how to go where they wanted with a few swimming strokes.

The funny thing was, we were floating around in that area of California where most Burbank television productions are filmed when they need a “rural” set.

4 Likes

Too much spinning. I’d wake up right away if I were flipping around that much!

3 Likes

It’s fascinating how some specific dream experiences seem so universal and yet we still know next to nothing about how and why dreaming even happens.

6 Likes

The correct way to fly is completely forgettable. In fact, it may not be possible to remember how to do it. Therefore, the correct way to fly is to flex ones’ knees slightly, launch oneself slightly upward, and hope that, at the precise moment of launch, your body will remember what to do. I can’t actually remember an occasion on which my body did not remember. After that, you float upward, slowly and gently.

While some people prefer to do it in fields, as a child, I much preferred the use of a back garden as a launching point. For reason that I don’t remember, but my body does, it’s much easier to do late at night as thick banks of autumn fog start roll off the river Thames. Or, maybe it’s just more memorable when you emerge from the tops of sodium-lit fogbanks, to see the panorama of nighttime London unfold around you.

I spent much of my early childhood flying over London every night. Sadly, my body forgot how to do it, somewhere around the time that my parents chose to emigrate to Canada, when I was seven.

All that to say… I don’t think they’re doing it right… I’m curious whether other people find the style of flying depicted in the commercial jarringly at odds with their childhood memories of flying.

4 Likes

We could save the world, but instead we’re using our ingenuity to play games. “Amusing ourselves to death” indeed.