Circumventing machine-gun controls with a robotic glove that automates faster-than-human trigger-pulls

I can’t wait to hear the NRA explain how a GGwaG (Good Guy with a Gun) will use this to defend himself and those around him by peppering the neighborhood with recoil induced oscillation patterns.

4 Likes

Who Cares? FREEDOM!

6 Likes

If you had a glove that let you move your fingers as fast as the Flash you wouldn’t need an assault rifle at all, you could just flick bullets at people.

4 Likes

I once saw a British Army firearms instructor demonstrate how fast you could fire an SLR (Self-Loading Rifle, a semi-automatic weapon then in use by the Brits) just by pulling the trigger rapidly and repeatedly. He didn’t manage quite the rate of fire you’d get from a fully-automatic weapon, but he certainly emptied the weapon in an impressively short space of time. Basically, the guy was his own AutoGlove.

As he explained it, there was no particular advantage to this: it was essentially a party trick, and you’d be better off firing aimed shots at a saner and more sustainable rate. But if you really want to spray bullets everywhere, you needn’t let the fact that your gun is merely semi-automatic stop you.

7 Likes

i was told snapping the trigger would cause the AR cartridge to stovepipe or double feed. From the vid its only pistol rounds tho.

I like firearms[1] and I could easily see myself buying an assault rifle, because, e.g., the action in an AR-15 is a fascinating bit of mechanical engineering, but I could never see myself taking a job that requires me to shoot it at people.

I presume there’s people of a similar turn of mind in America?

[1] I don’t own any, the country I live in doesn’t make it easy and I don’t need any, I just like the engineering.

That said, this is not going to amount to much. Guaranteed. This is not a firearm, which means that the 2nd Amendment doesn’t apply which means all any state needs to do is ban its sale and… there you go.

And, honestly, I don’t really worry overmuch about full-auto capability. An assault rifle on full auto empties a STANAG magazine in about four seconds and enables the operator to hit, mostly, the sky. If you are worried about mass shootings (and if you are American, you ought to be) what is most scary is a semi-auto short-barrel carbine in an intermediate caliber with an extended magazine. You can get a AR-15 compatible magazine for $160 that packs 100 rounds. Legally. This gives you the potential to do a lot of damage in a crowded place before you have to reload.

The hell of it, that’s really hard to regulate without banning guns altogether and somehow I don’t think that kind of amendment is going to clear 38 state legislatures.

5 Likes

Ironically actual soldiers rarely use their assault rifles in full-automatic mode even in battle situations because it’s usually just a good way to waste ammo if you actually care about hitting what you’re aiming at.

Full-auto mode is pretty useful if you’re a psycho who just wants to unload a clip into a crowd of random people, though.

2 Likes

I

If you want a fascinating mechanism to play around with lead, I recommend a Linotype Machine.
edited to add HOT METAL MACHINES AVAILABLE & WANTED

7 Likes

The Slide fire allows you to fire an AR 15 at automatic rates of fire using the bump fire technique assisted by a spring in the stock. That’s legal.
Tactical Fire Control makes a trigger replacement for rapid fire and has a copy of the ATF letter certifying their 3MR trigger as a non-NFA semi-auto trigger. This is legal.
A Hellfire trigger allows any semi-automatic firearm to fire near fully automatic rates by disengaging the trigger return spring which moves the operator’s trigger finger. When combined with a bump fire technique it’s even faster. This is legal.
Considering how many devices do the same thing and are legal, I don’t see how this is any different.

4 Likes

Oh, I love those. Amazing design. But I my home is not a fit place for either a military rifle or a few tons of turn of the century engineering.

1 Like

Yeah, with regards to fully-automatic weapons, the controls in place don’t really need to be changed much because legally buying a fully-automatic weapon is something that takes months and tens of thousands of dollars. In the 1920’s the Thompson was synonymous with organized crime because it was too expensive for normal people to afford, at 200 dollars (equivalent of ~$2832 in 2017) which was half the price of a new Ford at the time. Today you’re looking at $30,000-$40,000 dollars at least, and that’s not including taxes, transfer fees, etc.

If a criminal has an automatic weapon, it’s generally stolen and there isn’t really we can do a lot about that.

3 Likes

Hmmmm… To the Patent Office!

1 Like

If bump stocks are legal, I don’t see why this wouldn’t be.

1 Like

I contend it would be less lethal to spray 30 semi-aimed shots from a full auto vs 30 aimed shots from a semi-auto.

Which is why, as you said, full auto is really used in the military. It is more for suppressive fire.

Or they were illegally converted/created. There are probably more illegal machine guns in safes of people in Montana or other secluded areas than in the hands of criminals.

My dad made his 10/22 full auto on accident in the 70s. Took a bit too much off the sear…

2 Likes

But again, there’s no reason a civilian would need a device that performed this function unless they were trying to kill indiscriminately. Even in the most paranoid survivalist’s zombie-invasion fantasy the full auto option would be a stupid way to go.

5 Likes

Yeah I think it will probably be within the bounds of the NFA. Though there is one fairly large difference in that the users finger isn’t directly interacting with the trigger any more. But then on the other hand this also doesn’t modify the gun itself so that might also exempt it from NFA controls. Hard to tell as a non-lawyer and really it kind of comes down to what the ATF decides more than any outside interpretation.

Somebody PLEASE remake this video but use only black and brown performers. Then wait for reaction.

7 Likes

Most people that have them aren’t looking to kills zombies or the government. Its an expensive novelty. It’s fun to put a lot of holes in something. No one needs a car that can go over 90mph either. Or a motorcycle with such large engines. Or trebuchets. (<-- really, Mozilla? You don’t know the word trebuchet?)

Since people can’t afford the thousands of dollars caused by artificial scarcity, they look for loop holes. Which, as I and others have pointed out, have been around for many years in various forms. This honestly looks much clunkier and harder to use than the bumpfire stocks.

Again, they should open the NFA registry and allow the little people to be able to afford them. Then you wouldn’t need work arounds, you could get the real thing (in most states).

IIRC, last I check, the only person killed by a legal full auto since the 70s, the owner was a cop. Rifles used in crimes are rare. LEGAL Full autos used in crime is nearly non-existent now. The NFA checks are a full background check, not the instant NICS one.

2 Likes

Here, I’ll do you one better. Here is a black guy with a Suppressed Full Auto.

ETA

5 Likes

CONS: In our society, assault-style weapons are regularly used to facilitate the murder of large numbers of people in a short amounts of time.

PROS: Boy howdy, those things look fun!

Yeah, basically just like trebuchets.

9 Likes