Circumventing machine-gun controls with a robotic glove that automates faster-than-human trigger-pulls

Give it a few years, everybody will be brown:

http://www.massgeneral.org/news/pressrelease.aspx?id=1287

2 Likes
6 Likes

EMS Rapid Response? Organ transplant/blood biker? Both of these are normal/COTS vehicles, and I don’t mind knowing these people can legally speed, or accelerate like a madman - if anything, it’s comforting knowing that I needed one, they can do 90mph - or a lot more. In my opinion that might not be the best analogy…

As for guns, I will probably never own one or even see one in the hands of a civilian (past a shotgun). I think some are incredibly clever pieces of mechanics, and they interest me - but not to the extent of owning and securing one. I’m happier with them the other side of a computer screen - normally in bits in the hands of Forgotten Weapons or someone of that ilk.

This thing looks like a real heath-robinson solution to a problem that doesn’t really exist. Sport shooting is about accuracy, which full auto isn’t. The only use for full-auto I can see is putting as much lead as possible, as fast as possible, in the general direction of something, which ain’t my idea of fun - even if the target is only a load of bottles of water/paint.

Ban guns. That is all.

3 Likes

i really enjoyed Thomas Morton of Vice Magazine’s coverage of the Big Sandy full auto shoot.

hipster looking guy goes to shoot expecting ti find a bunch of rednecks -
well, you’ll have to watch the video to see what he learned

3 Likes

You don’t need a robot hand. You just need to learn how to bumpfire: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cOW_dcOrd9Y

I don’t think that’s a reasonable characterisation, he’s obviously a gun enthusiast and wanted to show the event in a good light. It looked amazing. Particularly enjoyed the guy firing Rimbaud style from the hip, the Finnish anti-tank rifle, and of course all the tracer.

I don’t think most people would have much of a problem with such a niche activity as this. Kind of like a sports car or vintage car owning crowd at the track. Though the ending statement that “this is the greatest freedom you could have” is farcically solipsistic.

Widespread ownership of firearms and a propaganda military entertainment complex pumping out non stop streams of media artefacts normalising their use are what most people find off putting about the US attitude to guns. I think.

TV and cinema are full of gunfights, shootouts, and gun killings. Often with the active participation of your military and self glorification of same. This is profoundly sick.

3 Likes

Talking about average citizen, not some specialized job.

Well, a lot of sport shooting now is about SPEED and accuracy. You don’t need to shoot clover leafs, just hit the targets as quickly as possible (some have scoring systems based on placement). The video I posted above shows Colion going through an action shooting course. There are “three gun” meets where you would run through a course shooting quickly with a rifle. Granted I am not sure if there are organized competitions for full autos (probably), but I am sure there would be if they were more widely available.

Which it is in a nut shell. Sort of like a roller coaster, not a lot of point to it, but a fun thrill.

But my overall point is, there are similar tools available that give similar performance to this glove already. Somehow most people are blissfully unaware of them, as they are being used at ranged across the country, vs staring WWIII.

Rednecks in general can’t afford those toys.

I’ve made this point many times that for the average person, their ONLY exposure to guns is tv, movies, video games etc. Nearly always these are portrayals in war, crime, or police use. This skews the reality. Yes, guns are used for those three things, but of the 80 million gun owners, most of them aren’t doing any of that. They are doing bench shooting, bulls eye, skeet and trap, plinking, action shooting, steel plate, long distance, bowling pin shooting, hunting, informal target practice. Most of the time they are just sitting around in a safe or lock box doing nothing. But this sets up a bias, just as the portrayal of say blacks and Muslims in the media.

If cars were portrayed like guns were, you never would see a car used for a road trip, commute, or grocery store run. They would only be police chases, pro car races, and illegal street racing.

2 Likes

Yah.

Full-auto fire is useful for:

• Firing from a mount in a military context, for area defence, suppression or AA.
  • Ammosexual masturbation.

That’s all.

They took the full-auto option off the standard military rifles for a reason. Using it without a mount does nothing except to waste ammunition and draw attention.

4 Likes

The still issue a SAW (Squad Automatic Weapon) M249 to most platoons which isn’t mounted. It’s a belt fed 5.56 machine gun. But yes, its main job is suppression.

In general, bullets don’t kill people in war. Artillery, explosives, and air strikes cause the most deaths. Even when the opposition isn’t armed, just shooting with machine guns isn’t always very effective.

You’re in Australia, right? You probably know about the Great Emu War.

2 Likes

That’s my disconnect. The argument for guns is either a practical use, or a fun novelty. Fun novelties can be controlled for damage, and practicality can be measured. But somehow because white ppl at one time wanted to take guns away from minorities means no one can have a registry ever.

I think it has more to do with legitimate fears that registries will lead to confiscations or turn ins. See the UK and Australia for two recent examples.

See also Canada abandoning their rifle registry as it cost too much to be worth it (rifles are very rarely used in crimes).

And would typically be fired while prone, supported by a bipod; i.e. effectively mounted.

Although a SAW can be fired on the move, full-auto would be unusual in that situation.

2 Likes

But it also completely discounts the issue of the number of guns in the country unaccounted for that does the most damage. Both Australia and the UK made an argument that fewer guns in their nations made their populace safer.

There is a problem on how many guns are in this country, and part of it is how easily they can move around, how easily people can get one, and how nothing can get addressed because of confiscation scaremongering. That dumb restriction on the ATF about databases is just part of the baffling amount of hamstringing just so gun owners can have a bit more fun on a range.

We have converted some historic guns for collectors so that they look and feel completely original and complete, but are legal and cannot be fired.
So they are safe to take apart and fool with, and don’t need to be elaborately protected in a vault.

1 Like

The ATF does keep databases of all NFA items and their owners. Including full autos. This includes suppressors, short barreled rifles, etc.

Their popularity has exploded, from just under 300k in 2006 to 2.5million in 2016.

1 Like

Incidentally: it’s “eem-you” not “eem-oo”.

1 Like

I didn’t make it, so no control over pronunciation :wink: I say it as “eem-you” as well. Er maybe more like “ee-mu”. Not that I say it that often. They are fairly scarce around here. Although I have seen some of them and ostriches on farms around here.

I saw somebody using a linotype when I was in Junior High and it made a big impression. All those exposed moving parts. And if the pen is mightier than the sword, the Linotype (and a press) are mightier than an tank.

David Carradine beat them to it.

1 Like