Citing "violence," Facebook officially has banned anarchist and anti-fascist content, alongside QAnon

Come on, you have someone yelling, “I am Antifa!” or “I am BLM!” before doing something destructive, of course that impugns the entire movement, because why on Earth would they lie about their affiliations?

21 Likes

what’s amazing to me is how rare it is. look at the number of incidents during these protests of cops pushing elderly protestors to the ground, shooting people in the face, clubbing people, tear gassing peaceful protests ( no need to argue about whether all the protests are peaceful, many have been completely lawful and still teargassed. )

and also let’s remember the amount of organized right-wing violence, literal lynchings, planned and disrupted mass shootings, and on.

so at the end of the day, we have one attack on one person and the facts are a bit murky there still.

one.

im still not seeing the physical violence and harm being caused by radical left wing antifa.

graffiti doesn’t count, nor does - as i heard - trying to flood the portland police association with water. those might not be great, opinions differ, they also are not anywhere in the category of physical violence being done by police and right wing agitators. not even nearly

26 Likes

No. They clearly said they are banning movements that are “not directly organizing violence” Trump and his followers are directly organizing violence, so are exempt from this new rule.

6 Likes

Some, but not all, but the use of force is a part of almost all political ideologies. We like to gloss over it, but almost every aspect of modern life is upheld through the use or threat of violence. The thing keeping a hungry person from eating a loaf of bread is the very real threat of beatings and being thrown in a cage.

History shows that isn’t how it works. When people have mass platforms to attract adherents, they tend to get adherents. Secret forums are only useful once someone has joined an organization and the ability to take risky talk to a secret place exists just as readily with them having a mass platform.

Yes. Any grassroots organizing has to at least be open to organizing on the platform with a billion+ users. The more vigorous actions that people wring their hands about occurred offline, but I know that some of my local anarchist groups use FB to announce food distributions, their speaker series, or aid to people during the lockdown. That’s the stuff that gets disrupted.

They never have and won’t even pretend to. Ask yourself if the US military still has recruiting pages and displays their weapons on FB. U.S. Army They do.

It hasn’t stopped them from ignoring white supremacist organizing on their site for years.

14 Likes

Nearly 60 years later and we have the same old arguments.

39 Likes

There have been so many incidents it’s hard to list them all but just looking at the Wiki article on the George Floyd protests they are associating the protests with 30 deaths, hundreds of millions of dollars in property damage. Not all of that is due to BLM, obviously, but it’s also obvious that violence is happening at these events. There must have been huge numbers of assaults along with it. I can also post links to Youtube videos all day long of normal people getting assaulted at these protests, like store owners who ask people to stop vandalizing their stores and then getting beaten and so on.
Here’s just a single incident in Utah where Antifa-aligned protesters opened fire on a vehicle that does not appear to be trying to run them over or anything. As with all the incidents, I’m not an investigator and I don’t have all the facts, obviously, but come on … two protesters opened fire on it, one firing shots as it was driving away. And they did catch these shooters and they did not turn out to be aligned with any right-wing groups. They were Antifa aligned, although obviously Antifa isn’t a single organization and it doesn’t have a membership list. It’s a movement more than it is a formal organization.
The only way this can be justified is if we take the stand that everyone should just automatically comply with whatever Antifa protesters want them to do. Which may be right but if so then FB needs to put that into their written policy.

Things that are hard to deny are also very easy to substantiate with sources, yet curiously you’ve failed to do so.

15 Likes

the article linked to by that article adds some more interesting info

including that the people involved had been talked to by other organizers before about their behavior.

it sucks ( to put it lightly ) that the people tasked with investigating this have their own vested interest in the outcome

10 Likes
4 Likes

Same.

I just did, see my other posts. Didn’t even mention all the shootings and assaults that occurred in Seattle’s short-lived autonomous zone. Was CHAZ / CHOP part of BLM or Antifa? No one can really say because it was autonomous and anarchist and didn’t keep lists, but it sure seemed to have a lot of overlap. I could go on and on with examples but I won’t.

Even if I’m wrong, I’m still right :roll_eyes:

15 Likes

im happy to read through the wiki, though it’s reliability for current political events is not as high as it is for other kinds of information.

it’s easy to call out that first one though - in portland’s case and im sure other cities it’s the same - as fud.

dhs at the time they intervened cited the damage to their court house at 3,000 dollars. and im not missing a zero there. ( i didn’t save the link unfortunately. )

15 Likes

They also seem to have conflated any death and violence with antifa.

Boogaloo are not antifa or anarchists, there is a reasonable argument to be made that they are anti-antifa (that works out as fa, or fascism).

looters are not antifa or anarchists (OK, some might be associated with them, but it is not praxis)

16 Likes

This, exactly this.

16 Likes

You mean Wikipedia? That’s your source?

4 Likes

Those are two very different things. Fecesbook isn’t an internet commons, no matter what some dissatisfied with what they do, and in some cases FB representatives themselves, would like you think.

Ajit Pai systematically dismantling internet neutrality protections that hold ISPs accountable when they selectively throttle traffic routed through tax-subsidized communications infrastructure laid along public utility rights of way is the creeping enclosure of the internet commons.

Fecesbook is a private website, not a collective commons, no matter how many hundreds of millions of users they convince to sign up to be their product to advertisers. As such they’re both free to show anyone they want the door, and fair game for criticism from anyone critical of their decisions.

Criticizing Fecesbook’s decisions ≠ shortsightedly undermining Section 230 of the Communications Decency Act.

17 Likes

QAnon probably, but far-right nationalism and fascism are a global problem.

12 Likes

Because the people who are so complacent are usually complicit, in that they don’t typically care about inequality or injustice unless and until it directly affects them personally.

SSDD

18 Likes

Identiarianism, too. What they all have in common is that violence is a sine qua non of their base ideologies in a way it isn’t with other ones.

8 Likes