Citizen app's $30k reward strays towards vigilante justice

Originally published at: Citizen app's $30k reward strays towards vigilante justice | Boing Boing

2 Likes

Fear-mongering Citizen app? A close cousin to F-Book’s Next Door app, a veritable who’s who of disgusting humans that live close by you.

6 Likes

You say “Dangerous, Vigilante Mob,” Silicon Valley says “Distrubuted, Crowdsourced Investigation.” You may be right, but you won’t generate as much revenue so, really who’s RIGHT, right?

I’m sure this will end up about as utopian as Uber “disrupting” the cab companies.

11 Likes

A libertarian utopia. Capital driving policing.

7 Likes

I believe that Nextdoor has no connection to F-Book. Other than both being wretched hives of scum and villainy, of course.

4 Likes

Remember the Boston Marathon bombing?

In the immediate hours following it, Reddit was on the case! People were scouring security cam footage, pictures, etc, and soon zeroed in on a couple of suspects. Problem is that they had nothing to do with it.

Not one of Reddit’s finest moments.

7 Likes

Er, dude, we’re neighbours, right? So it that disgusting humans that live close to you, or disgusting humans that live close to me?

And that’s setting the bar pretty low.

3 Likes

You raise an interesting conundrum. That likely will require an interesting solution.

1 Like

Well… sorta: Nextdoor Confirmed to be Part of Facebook Audience Network - Mediagistic

That was as of 2019, though.

I try not to use facebook, and the ‘invites’ I get from NextDoor go right into the recycle bin.

2 Likes

cd38ed1bd3a6af0fad36d7b5f800bb0f

2 Likes

Among 12,000 other placements (publishers) according to the article.

Oh, my Next Door feed has been pretty cool actually. I dunno if it’s just that I’m in a left-leaning area, but generally put it’s just people posting about dogs/etc, and a few major things in the area (there was a house on fire a while back for example) - but I also don’t spend a ton of time on there.

1 Like

As expected for an app originally launched in NY as “Vigilante”…

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.