City of Sarajevo bans unsanctioned utterances of its name, threatens Facebook groups

Sarah Yayvoh

4 Likes

It would be fairly amusing if Google, Facebook, Twitter, Wikipedia etc. would immediately remove #REF! permanently from all of their registers.

3 Likes

They’re redesignating it Streisand.

5 Likes

Maybe thats their plan to be world famous.

3 Likes

I wonder what the IOC has to say about it? Seems to me they have the eternal right.

1 Like

Cera Huevos

5 Likes

I thought that was Hast*$!$^@@^^Connection closed by foreign host

Nope, it’s still a live trademark.

Well, it’s actually more complicated than that. There are four trademarks for various uses, so you’ve always been free to use the symbol outside of what he registered - so, if you want to make a sports drink or start an airline, feel free to use it!

Maybe we should start a campaign to define the word “Sarajevo” in much the same vein as Dan Savage’s campaign to define “Santorum.”

2 Likes

It’s an easy work-around. Just refer to it as Sh**Holejevo anywhere you want to mention it. Even President Trump would approve of that solution.

1 Like

Who do they think they are, Scientology or something?

4 Likes

This is easily rectified. Grant them their wish. No one ever mentions sarajevo again. News stories about things that happen there refer to a suburb of whatever the nearest other town is. Airlines stop writing the name on tickets and destinations, and stop offering flights there. Travel agencies that put together trips there, places that help book hotels there, etc. all stop using the name. It’s not even a selectable option on any dropdown menu, and writing it in throws an error. Banks and other institutions stop accepting it as a legal address, i.e. you can’t send money there. Give them their wish: they’ll wish they hadn’t rubbed that particular genii bottle.

3 Likes

I vote for calling it Sara-fukkin’-jevo for as long as the ban lasts. This is easily understood even if you don/t know the backstory, and most English speaking people wont even notice the change.

Anyone suggest a more international word to stick in there?

3 Likes

Be careful about passing off though…

That was my first though too.

1 Like

This seems like exactly the place for this:

1 Like

Maybe this has to do with some Bosnian chick named Sara Jevo who doesn’t want her name bandied about.

That’s possible, you know.

Hugh Mungus

2 Likes

I suppose being world infamous isn’t enough.

:slight_smile:

1 Like

Glad to see they put all that nasty genocide and destruction behind them and now have the time to dick around with the frivolous stuff.