Claimed footage of cinemagoers' reaction to Darth Vader's "I am your father" line has another surprise

wild! thanks for that

( maybe the next time i have $16,000 laying around, i’ll pick up one of those posters :grimacing: )

4 Likes

Also the crowd reactions are too quick after the action, like instantaneous with his hand chopped off, etc.

And, I honestly don’t recall any crowd reaction to the “father” line because everyone knew already. Worst kept secret in spoilers history.

There’s a couple quick whistle/flute notes where he says “Luke” which don’t match the music around the rest of the line. So we just need to find the spot where Vader says Luke and there is flute music going on to find where the word was spliced from.

The quick whistle at 54 sec is the exact same quick whistle at 17 sec. Take a look at the audio spectrum on the following screen captures of Soundbooth (the 17 sec spot is above, the 54 sec spot is below), the whistle is very unique. Click for larger versions of the screen captures.

Clearly the spot where Vader says “Luke” was copie from 37 seconds prior. Mystery solved.

8 Likes

I think part of Lucas’s reasoning was also to fuck with toy bootleggers and devalue their stock. The nod to the title in “Revenge of the Sith” is one of the few things I like about the prequel.

1 Like

So I’m pretty sure @Logolepsy has the answer here, but this is a good opportunity to talk about my favorite Star Wars cross-release weirdness.

In Star Wars, during the Death Star assault, at one point there’s a storm trooper who orders, “Close the blast doors!” As the blast doors close, he sees the heroes on the other side of it, and in a panic he shouts, “Open the blast doors! Open the blast doors!”

To the best of my knowledge, the only releases of the film that had both of these snippets of audio were some of the early cinema releases, and the first TV airing on CBS in the 80s. Every release since then has had one or the other, but not both, lines – ruining a fun moment.

Also, when Darth Vader is standing behind a closing blast door in a scene in the same part of the film, I don’t think any print has ever had his light saber correctly colored red – it’s always just the reflective white tank antenna.

3 Likes

THANK YOU. I’ve never heard anyone else discuss this gaffe, and I thought I might be going mad.

3 Likes

You would think that in one of the many “Special Editions” they’d, you know, at least slap on some paint in After Effects, somewhere between adding a horrible-looking Jabba at Mos Eisley and rendering all those uncomfortably lingering shots of X-wings.

2 Likes

Right?! It’s a super-easy fix!

1 Like

Claimed footage of cinemagoers’ reaction to Darth Vader’s “I am your father” line has another surprise

This is the clickbaitiest headline ever

3 Likes

I’m still pissed that my oldest brother, who got to see Episode V the night it came out while we had to wait for the weekend, came back and announced it to the whole family. What an asshole.

5 Likes

I had a friend in college who had seen Star Wars but hadn’t seen Empire or Jedi until well into adulthood. She told me the story of how they had been spoiled for her. She was hanging out with some friends and the topic of the trilogy came up.

“I’ve only seen the first one.”
“What, you mean you haven’t ever seen Empire?”
“Nope.”
“Wait, so you don’t know that Darth Vader is Luke’s father?!”
“Wait, what?”
[Another friend enters the room]
“Hey, did you know that Claire has only ever seen the first Star Wars?”
“What? So she doesn’t know that Leia is Luke’s sister?”
Wait, what?!

8 Likes

Sarcastic The Morning Show GIF by Apple TV+

2 Likes

I didn’t! I was traumatised by the revelation. I spent the time till Return trying to convince myself that Vader was lying.

4 Likes

I remember the ‘blast doors’ gag. I was 11, with my Mum, at the local cinema when it first came out.
Why they did away with that fun moment is beyond me.

1 Like

You are Petty Officer Jones, and I claim my £5.

2 Likes

I’d never heard the controversy framed like this. I’ve always heard that the correct “No … I am your father” is commonly misremembered as “Luke, I am your father.”
one such data point:

Never heard it with both words shoehorned together before.

I believe the issue of Time magazine with Vader on the cover, which came out a while after the original episode, was the spoiler. I was like 7yo, I certainly didn’t read Time, but my mother helpfully filled me in… /s

2 Likes

I’ve been under the impression that that Luke… came out of the novelization. Star Wars came out during the tail end of the period where once something was no longer in theaters you weren’t seeing it again until it rounded its way through the drive throughs or they did a big re-release. Though it was weirdly quick to home release, 82 for ANH and 84 for Empire on VHS. It’s not like VCRs were all that common for a few years after.

Things like novelizations, comics and what have were the only way to get that story again for most people. So they had weird influence.

The original release was well before my time. But pretty much as soon as my family got a VCR in the late 80’s we had the OT on constant rotation. So we knew it was “No… I am your father”. But the pop culture references you’d see in cartoons, the line on the playground was “Luke…”.

4 Likes

I was working as a projectionist in the early 80s, and there was, indeed, a trailer for Revenge of the Jedi. I distinctly recall splicing it onto the prints of Gandhi, Tootsie, and 48 Hours, the three big hits from December of 1982. Not long after, the word came down to pull them, and all of our copies disappeared; I’m pretty sure our manager sold them on the black market (not that many fans would have had a way to play the 35 mm reels at home).

4 Likes

And, sure enough, YouTube provides:

5 Likes