Clarence Thomas to decide if Trump has immunity for the coup attempt his own wife planned

Maaaybe. But I wouldn’t consider speaking tours being in private practice. “Celebrity partner” is barely better.

1 Like

My impression from the Frontline profile of Thomas was that his bitterness started when he was not recruited into a big prestigious law firm with a commensurate paycheck out of law school because he was perceived as an affirmative action admission.

1 Like

Cute video. But it slightly glosses over the inconvenience of indigenous already thriving on the land.

1 Like

If he weren’t they would have expedited this or they would have refuse to hear it, since the ruling was apparently solid. He gave in to the dipshits, and they’re fucking us all over.

9 Likes

It looks like they’re trying to split the difference by hearing the case which they obviously should have refused to hear but doing so on an expedited (by the glacial standards of the court) schedule, which is still far too slow.

Only four of the nine justices must agree to hear a case to put it on the docket, so it would be interesting to learn whether or not Roberts was one of the dipshits who voted in favor of taking this up.

8 Likes

… just like being not recruited because regular racism except it’s liberals’ fault :thinking:

2 Likes

I have to admit, the thing with Ginni Thomas and her texts with Meadows were still surprising to me.
Mainly because she seemed to really believe the kind of horseshit that right wing media might SAY out loud on TV for ratings and to stir the base. But private texting that foolishness?

https://www.cnn.com/2022/03/24/politics/ginni-thomas-mark-meadows-text-messages/index.html

3 Likes

She believes that she’s above the law and is working for a greater cause than herself. Plus, she believed that a majority of Americans were “real” Americans and believed this horseshit.

Thomas also has a history of being susceptible to cults, as she was in one when she was young and got out and was deprogrammed. Maga is a cult masquerading as a populist political movement.

12 Likes

Yea, I didn’t really know anything about her at all till this stuff went down - forgot about hearing the cult stuff at the time.
The fact that she was an anti-cult crusader and then also spouted effectively QANON garbage… Guess the anti-cult stuff didn’t stick that well…
I actually knew someone that got involved with Lifespring in the late 80’s/early 90’s and I agreed to attend a meeting with them as a friend… Holy shit. Fucking bonkers nonsense and hard sell from the get go once the doors closed.

8 Likes

The obey vow is only the wife to the husband. Patriarchy, yaknow.

Marriage vows - Wikipedia.

4 Likes

Yeah, I don’t know if there are some people who are just more susceptible to cults or what, but if so, this seems like the case with her.

Yeah, that’s how that shit works. It’s depressing that it works on some, even folks who believe themselves to be immune to that kind of persuasion.

7 Likes

Weird matter of how it’s billed by the Pollyannas (who are Legal Pages) who believe that by golly if people want it, they can drown democracy in a bathtub (as opposed to other Pollyannas (who are Legal Pages.)) Wait, are there SWIFT or option trading corruption tagging bots? Maybe Thomas’s BTC contracts will only convert through commodity pepperoni 14" pies… (as opposed to oil contracts.)

1 Like

It might require POTUS to dust off a history book, but extremely low public opinion in the court has been relevant before now.

From memory, SCOTUS were making noises about blocking the New Deal, which was incredibly popular. Rosevelt leveraged the low public opinion of the court by threatening to pack the court, and the court removed their objections.

Upthread, or on the SCOTUS shenanigans threads, at least one of the justices is aware that [We][1] The People are Supreme in the USA, not the Court. That the Law ultimately requires the consent of the people, and if public have a lower opinion of the court than [insert wittisism here] that’s a constitutional crisis.

1. Well, “y’all” anyway. I’m over in the 51st State :smiley: ↩︎

5 Likes

The case is about immunity for official government acts. I still fail to see how inciting an insurrection, failing to return classified documents after being removed from office, or meddling with a state’s presidential elections could be considered official government acts. So to me, this issue should be partially moot and most of the cases against Trump should continue without delay.

5 Likes

I know we’re veering off topic (though not for the first time :slight_smile: ) but even though that was ~30 years ago, some things stuck in my head all this time.
One was after the main event was over several people at a time (I assume as directed) came over to those of us that were guests and started in on the hard sell. When I started to explain to one of them as diplomatically as I could that this did not appear to be for me, this one person literally turned on her heals and walked away while I was in mid-sentence. I laughed about it later, but at the time I thought “guess the self-improvement part of the cult didn’t fully take with this one”.
Two, during the main event, cult members took turns standing up to tell the crowd how they had been helped and all that. Paraphrasing, it was either “I was a loser” or “I was a complete asshole”.
Three, when I went into the lobby to sit down after, one of the guys who I did talk to (who had self-identified himself as an asshole during the above mentioned part) came over and sat down to smoke a cigarette and chat. I actually told him that I did not consider myself to be a loser or an asshole. He was like “ok, man. whatever works for you, you know yourself best”. He was the only normal person I talked to. So we just shot the shit a little bit, smoked cigarettes and that was that.
But otherwise, the entire thing was extremely bizarre.

4 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.