Clarence Thomas to decide if Trump has immunity for the coup attempt his own wife planned

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2024/02/29/clarence-thomas-sides-with-coup-loving-wife.html

15 Likes

He did vow to obey his wife, though.

11 Likes

So sick of Justice Thomas. Need that garbage and all of Trump’s appointees removed. Pwetty pwease?

11 Likes

Chief Justice Roberts isn’t exactly a profile in courage or integrity but he isn’t a complete idiot; surely some part of him realizes how much public confidence in the court’s impartiality and legitimacy has declined on his watch? One would think the court would work harder to preserve at least some semblance of integrity and responsibility for its own good if not for the nation’s.

23 Likes

Take the deal Justice Thomas! https://youtu.be/Ju_r41rCP00?si=m5O5xWqMaM05MW8Z

23 Likes

So the horrendous heuristic is: this supreme court will do everything scummy it possibly can to get trump back in office so that he can continue to re-stock the supreme court to make it even more willing to ignore the constitution and precedent to decide everything in favor of the fascists yet to come. spiffy. @#$!!!

15 Likes

Too bad his “public” is composed of right wing billionaires :man_shrugging:

15 Likes

Vote blue for every fucking office possible, from gutter washer to President, but especially Representatives and Senators. Thomas should be impeached and removed from office. He is guilty of more misconduct than probably any Supreme Court Justice ever, but certainly any since the 20th Century began. But he will never be successfully impeached unless Democrats hold a majority in the House and a supermajority in the Senate. And for God’s sake, don’t vote third party or stay home on election day. This problem certainly won’t go away if Trump ends up back in the White House.

33 Likes
23 Likes

Well, you know what they say, plan for the worst hope for the best.

Prudent advice for the coming year.

3 Likes

Once Brandon has immunity for alleged official acts, he can ship them all to Guantanamo.

8 Likes

This case should be answered with just a few sentences. May I humbly suggest:

12 Likes

The decorum of the SCOTUS probably means none of the other Justices will even bring this up (certainly not in public anyway, but I bet even in private it would lead to a shouting match.)

2 Likes

This is a time for the other Justices to speak publicly about this conflict. Regardless of norms - which the other side doesn’t give a shit about anyway.

29 Likes

they ain’t wrong. i guess the good news is that it’s not solely up to Thomas. there are other justices on the court, and it’s possible they will actually do the right thing. (not that i’m holding my breath or anything)

3 Likes

Someone needs to dust off a copy of the Pelican Brief.

5 Likes

But why would they? No amount of contempt from the public at their lack of integrity will remove them from office. They are almost impregnable (short of physical violence) so why not stick two fingers up to the country and ride that gravy train all the way, for as long as they are alive? They have no fucks to give for integrity.

1 Like

For all of Clarence Thomas’s corruption he was right about one thing: he could be making more money if he quit the court and went into private practice. So the justices are not there for the paychecks or the perks. They are there for the power and prestige.

I think John Roberts really is a person who cares what history books will say about him even if he pretends to be above that kind of thing. The question is if he has the courage to actually do something about it, and the answers looking more and more like a “no.”

11 Likes

[citation needed] Just because he’s been on SCOTUS for a couple decades doesn’t mean he’s a competent lawyer. Unless you’re talking about being a talking head on some RWNJ channel, he might actually have to be effective to earn more than his Court salary.

1 Like

Of course not, but I’m sure there is no shortage of private firms who would pay handsomely for the prestige of having a former SCOTUS justice—any former SCOTUS justice—as a partner. To say nothing of all the money these justices could make if they took their speaking engagements and book deals full-time.

4 Likes