Cleaning Off The Muck šŸŒŒ

This

6 Likes

Obsessed with this right now:

4 Likes

How about this one?

Way better than the original, thick French Canadian accents notwithstanding.

7 Likes

To be fair, the original was not exactly a masterpiece, though.

:slight_smile:

No offense intended to Ya Kid K.

3 Likes

I like the library!

15 Likes

This. Thereā€™s enough hurry-up-and-wait in my life where I manage to read at least 2-3 books a week.

3 Likes

That moment when, after Iā€™ve Aeropressed a cup of coffee, I take off the bottom filter thingy and press out a perfectly formed puck of coffee grounds.

I donā€™t know why I enjoy this, nor why it never seems to get old.

13 Likes

Oh heck yeah. I love that little puck popping off of the plunger so neatly. My morning Aeropress ritual is a nice way to start the day. Zen coffeemaking.

6 Likes

Fot - the noise made by breaking the seal on a jar of coffee with the back of a teaspoon*.

Also strangely satisfying - running your thumbnail along the foil wrapping of a KitKat before you break it in two.

*I read this somewhere. Sounds vaguely Meaning of Liff, but might not be.

6 Likes

:heart_eyes_cat:

12 Likes

This music video is just glorious. Plus, Ken Nordine!

1 Like

This could be insane, but I go to my ā€œhappy placeā€ which is a 1900s-era walkup in a high-density residential area of a city I know and love best, where septuagenarian Gloria Swanson is fostering my first Burmese cat. Her parlour smells of old books, the upholstery is velvet, and we sit by large, tall windows so the sun rays filter in and illuminate the dust.

Gloria is always serene and ā€˜togetherā€™. I never see her leave her tall-backed velvet chair, but she must on the times she buzzes me in.

Once in a while her husband William Dufty, author of Sugar Blues, dutifully buzzes me in and makes tea for the both of us. Last year Yorkā€™s University Challenge captain made some appearances but left after the Brexit vote; this morning inbetween some ā€˜sleep sprintsā€™ Mary Pickford appeared as someone who lost the last of her family, a younger sister, when she was close to the age I was when my younger brother left the planet (two years ago today). Mary, Gloria and I held hands and chanted some self-love and self-approval affirmations inbetween counting down from 100 to 0.

This ā€˜wise women spirit guides communeā€™ worked better at getting me to sleep than did the combination of 20 grams of melatonin, binaural beats, Vitamin B12, and Liquid Calm magnesium drink. I will try exercise and an online ā€˜ritual bathā€™ recipe with household ingredients for another psychic cleansing remedy.

7 Likes
2 Likes

Something else lovely I wanted to share.

Kate Bushā€™s 2004 album Aerial ends with a 42-minute long song suite called ā€œAn Endless Sky of Honeyā€ that traces an entire day in musical form. Itā€™s long, languid, beautiful, and one of the best things sheā€™s ever done.

6 Likes

Not too much of a dog person, but the ā€œWhat?, wait, WHAT! OMG No Way! BEST DAY EVER!!!ā€ coming from one gets me. :smiley:

11 Likes

It really is all about perspective. For example look at our place in the universe. We are on a small slightly damp rock orbiting a star that will ultimately fizzle out in a cosmic eyeblink. Our radio presence takes up not even a one percent volume of the milky way. So far as we are aware we are alone. There is no help coming. Ours is the only voice in the dark asking if there is anyone out there.

Some people see this as degrading. Science removing us further and further from the center of existence. However to me that puts us in the grandest place of all. We are a part of this thing so vast and old that the human mind cannot properly fathom it. We are made from the furnices of stars that exploded out to seed not just the cloud that would condense into the solar system, but potentially others. If there are no voices out there because there is nobody else. Then we are the first. We are the Old Ones that have the privilaged place of making all those first mistakes and are obligated to find ways of making sure those that come after know that they were not alone even if we never live to see them. If we are not (and i do not believe we are alone) then it is simply a case of us playing catch up to everyone else much like living in a rural farm house and having to build a wagon to roll on over to the neighbors.

Either event leaves me feeling large at the end of the day. I am part of this thing. Humanity has the potential for so much more than it is, and while the news likes to bombard us with all the bleakness and blackness of the world even that in its own way helps since it motivates people to stand and go ā€˜this is not right we should do something.ā€™ Ours is one of if not the least violent period in human history. Our standard of living slowly rises, and that worm that burrows out of your leg because you drank tainted water went from being so prevelant it literally is the symbol for medicine (ā€˜snakeā€™ twined around a staff) to there being something on the order of twenty five cases globally in the past year.

And on a personal note even those that are poor and rural to the point of being unable to go in person live in an age where libraries worth of knowledge, discussion with like minded people no matter our faith creed color or mindset is not only possible but at least in the developed world (apologies for the America-Centricness) itā€™s expected as normal.

That I believe God did this should be immaterial to the fact the Universe is awesome, and by extension we are awesome for being able to understand at least a little of it.

11 Likes

200 Canada geese landed all at one on the pond by my place. Sounded like a traffic jam.

15 Likes

And then this morning as I was leaving for work, they decided to move on. All at once. Jesus they make a lovely racket. SO MANY GEESE. SO MUCH POO.

11 Likes

I do. I use to smoke weed more often, and would sometimes be really hanging out for a cone. But a lot of those times, after Iā€™d mulled up and packed a pipe, I could happily sit on it for twenty minutes; the fact it was there waiting for me meant a lot.

We tend to build rituals around our drugs.

10 Likes

Dude dressing up as his dogā€™s fave toy vid has to be one of the sweetest things Iā€™ve ever seen.

5 Likes