Clearview AI promises to cancel accounts that aren't law enforcement or government entities

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2020/05/08/clearview-ai-promises-to-cance.html

… and hopefully they will be sued into oblivion by the company’s who have invested a bunch of money in systems using their software who’s accounts have been canceled. Win all around! :slight_smile:

7 Likes

Hopefully this will be followed shortly by a story about clearview also
cancelling the accounts of every customer who is associated with law enforcement or some other federal, state, or local government department, office, or agency

5 Likes

Too little, too late.

1 Like

It’s a first step, I guess. Now, I feel like the only reasonable path for the company is to wipe all its hard drives, erase all its cloud data and burn down its offices.

2 Likes

Sort of misses the point though. The data about Illinois citizens is all still there.

Will they do this by redefining private customers as “law-enforcement” ?

Limiting this to law enforcement and government only is not the same as excluding white supremacists and right-wing whackjobs, who have done a great job of infiltrating law enforcement, the military, etc. There needs to be real-time moderation of requests, with legal documentation of who’s asking, what their stated reasons are, what the subpeona actually said, etc. Otherwise, it’s no different than a cop on duty calling in the license plate of the car he sees outside his ex-girlfriend’s house, so he can locate and harass her new boyfriend, i.e. something that happens all the time, with no accountability at all and no insurance of legitimate purpose.

2 Likes

When everyone is empowered to perform a citizen’s arrest, every citizen becomes a member of law enforcement.

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.