Clearview client list "stolen"

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2020/02/27/clearview-client-list-stolen.html

2 Likes

Hacker swipes customer list from controversial face-recog-for-Feds Clearview. Its reaction? ‘A part of life’

In a statement, Clearview’s attorney Tor Ekeland told The Register : “Security is Clearview’s top priority. Unfortunately, data breaches are part of life in the 21st century. Our servers were never accessed. We patched the flaw, and continue to work to strengthen our security.”

Er, OK, so, someone “gained unauthorized access” to internal records, but “servers were never accessed,” although a “flaw” was “patched.” Right. This could mean a third-party system, or cloud service, or a personal computer, storing the purloined data was accessed by the thief, via a security hole for which a fix was available and only now applied.

7 Likes

It’s that age old story made new again and again.

Grifters believe themselves to be so savvy that they’re above being grifted themselves - a state of self-unawareness that makes them the easiest marks.

To them I say, good riddance!

3 Likes

At least he seems to know what he is talking about instead of some pure denialism or complete ignorance of how security works.
But, there is still some embarrassing failure being covered.

1 Like

I don’t see the big deal. Only the list of their customers was compromised. If, in hiring this company, they weren’t doing anything wrong, they have nothing to fear, right?

5 Likes

So are class action lawsuits :poop: :high_heel:

5 Likes

Well, where’s the list? Is there a pastebin?

3 Likes

Hopefully, soon…

1 Like

I think we’re all interested in whether this will be a fatal embarrassment, or whether Clearview will somehow shamble on.

1 Like

Not a good look for any security company

Are they a security company or a surveillance company? :thinking:

…I think that question answers itself, doesn’t it…

3 Likes

Good. Maybe we’ll finally find out who’s actually using their shady as service and who’s been lying about not using their shady service.

1 Like

This gives the term, “Losing Face” an entirely new meaning.

3 Likes

This is one of the worries I have about capturing and storing information about human physical traits, as in biometric authentication. Once data is lost, you can’t simply change your face, finger print, voice etc. Actually, I just read this on the topic of biometrics. There’s another article on that site about facial recognition too. https://wellthatsinteresting.tech/an-alternative-to-passwords-shayype/

haha :joy:

If you live in California, you can request your Clearview file.

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.