Cleveland: "First Amendment zones" will fence protesters far away from RNC

Oh, we’re all laughing now, but when we have to send in Snake Pliskin to get Trump out, the joke is going to be over.

If I’m a Cleveland resident of a certain age, my dreams are unsettled by the knowledge that the six weeks between the Cavs Championship and the forthcoming Republican National Convention there is almost the exact same length of time as that from Woodstock to Altamont.

2 Likes

OT but sixteen years ago I went to Cleveland. Before I went almost everybody I talked to had the same question: “Why do you want to go to Cleveland?” The one exception was the guy who said, “Enjoy getting shot!” The sad thing is there wasn’t time to do all the stuff I wanted to do which is why my response was always , “Why would I not want to go to Cleveland?”

And I was standing at a bus stop and got to see a guy get arrested. That was a fun bonus.

2 Likes

Just deserts - when the police complain about your demonstration, march them into a little corral and explain that they are free to complain about it from in there. Call me cynical, but most “protesters” tend to not be organized well enough to pull it off. But it would nicely get the point across.

4 Likes

Good to know! The “we’re not Detroit” meme was born some 7 years ago, so progress!

For those that don’t know, that comes from a really funny series of short YouTube videos “promoting” Cleveland tourism. I find them to be quite funny.

I heard a three-year-old got too near to the fence, it was tragic, they had to shoot a deligate.

This probably won’t be a popular opinion here, but this actually bothers me a lot less than the “free speech zones” which are cropping up on US college campuses. At least Cleveland could make the public safety case (although not particularly strongly, IMO). Also IMO if a university education means anything at this point (perhaps a debatable point) then free speech zones have absolutely no place.

I guess I just expect – mistakenly? – more out of a university than a city like Cleveland…

Absolute Critical Thought Depletion Zone and Leelo Make Multipass Zone should make for some interesting restaurant pairing menus about that time.

Smoked quarter steer with nootropic pineapple luminiferous mechanic?

4 Likes

The hike across the bridge will be nice, but look at what freedom of speech and assembly really looks like:
https://twitter.com/cavs

They are actually restricted in the smaller security perimeter which is under the control of the Secret Service. Fun fact about the “Event area”, forks, knives, bookbags are all banned. Guns are fine until you are right by the arena. Fake guns are banned in the entire city.

Forget the Free Speech Zone. I live hundreds and hundreds of miles from there, and it’s still close enough to make my skin crawl.

3 Likes

The government and police are illegally stripping people of there constitution and human right. There is no justification for this.

Huzzah for freedom, oy!

1 Like

it was!

1 Like

Well lookee here:

CLEVELAND, Ohio — A federal judge on Thursday scrapped the city of Cleveland’s plans for an event zone that would have encompassed most of downtown during the Republican National Convention, saying that the restrictions are unduly burdensome to people who want to express their free-speech rights.

4 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.