Cleveland's baseball team will be called the 'Guardians'

Sadly, there are people on the left who are just as addicted to online outrage as the people on the right, and stories like this bring hate-clicks from them. It’s not healthy, neither for them, the media, or the general political climate.

2 Likes

Donald Trump is famous for his ability to empathize with the plight of Indigenous Americans.

Remember that time he honored the WWII code talkers by posing for a picture with them under the official portrait of Andrew “Indian Killer” Jackson?

5 Likes

I was rooting for the Spiders, but if folks in Cleveland are happy with this, then it’s great!

I’m not sure the context is the same when they’re not the indigenous people of the land your nation has exploited.

In that case it’s just kind of odd.

1 Like

Yes, we read it in the article attached to this very comment thread.

I, personally, have way less of a problem with either Chiefs, or a realistic portrayal. Though it is super weird that is in England… It, uh, smacks way more of like “people we colonized” when England does it. (Not that it isn’t with out problems in America :confused: )

FWIW, the local American football team is the Chief as well, but the logo is an arrowhead (Though that wasn’t always the case) and the game mascot is the KC Wolf. And they recently banned faux regalia at games. There are some who still have issues with it, but there are also some who support it, including having drum ceremonies at the stadium. But I do know at least the organization has made efforts to change with the times.

But I supported the Washington team changing their name, as Redskins was horribly archaic. And with Cleveland the the logo was fucking horrible.

YMMV

2 Likes

The issue is that, after centuries of genocide of native Americans, uprooting them from their land, destroying their culture, ripping children away from parents to eliminate their traditions and languages, etc etc etc, we them turn around and say “but we’ll use your likeness as a symbol of strength and virility.”

Picture if the Nazis, after all they did to the Jews, said “but you know, they’re the best with money so we’re going to call all the banks ‘The Jew.’ You know, to honor them.”

3 Likes

Mmmm, now I want a bucket of stone arrowhead shaped KFC Chicken Nuggets.

1 Like

Except that sports teams aren’t the federal government and weren’t the ones committing genocide.

FWIW, I am a member of the Potawatomie Tribe, Citizen Band. I am well aware if much of our history, including the forced relocation from Indiana to Kansas, called the Trail of Death. They were at the time known as the Mission Potawtomie and were forced to cohabitate with Prairie Potawatomie, who while sharing a language, differed lot of other ways culturally, Namely the Mission being a woodland culture, vs a prairie culture that the others had adapted to. Later they took a land allotment in the then Indian Territory as well as American citizenship, becoming the Citizen Band. Currently the nation is outside of Shawnee, OK.

At any rate, there is not a monolithic attitude towards this among Natives and those of Native decent. I know several who are enthusiastic Chiefs fans, for an example. Including my distant cousin who is head of the Nation’s language department. I respect anyone who disagrees with with me for their reasons given - just as why I gave my reasons for my opinion. (Note, this also applies to things like the term “Indian”, where some use that term still and don’t find it pejorative.)

But I also don’t have a problem if the teams decide to change their names.

Is that real thing? Or a, “Wish they made it.”

3 Likes

The team logo just made me think of one of those off-brand chicken shops. :yum:

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.