Clever hack that will end badly: playing copyrighted music during Nazis rallies so they can't be posted to Youtube

Audio fingerprinting was used by record companies before YouTube. If you sent a file to be mastered / pressed they would have it checked at the plant and ask you had you sample clearance. It killed sample based music. Breaks scene moved to Eastern European vinyl pressing but they ran the software (maybe that would have been around when yt came into existence).

Needless to say the results that the software threw up were bullshit and not necessarily the people being sampled. More likely some connected artist who also sampled the sound you were sampling.

1 Like

Reminds me of a story I read of how jaywalking was ‘invented’ by the car industry to ensure that only cars had the right to use roads that before then had been open to all kind oftraffic and to pedestrians.

2 Likes

Is there a specific offense of jaywalking anywhere outside of the US? In the UK, for example, it’s legal to walk along any road except for motorways. (Walking down the middle of the road might get you in some trouble, I suppose.)

It’s been used by lots of people, but the original technology came from academia.

1 Like

People who have tried this (or something similar to it) have had results that indicate this is the truth — copyright owners who are extremely stringent about enforcing usage of their music seem to be on an “instant stream-kill” list of sorts, whereas Chuck Barry isn’t.

Music recommended by various protesters for maximum shutdown effect:
Metallica
Prince
King Crimson
Anything from any Disney movie

1 Like

No it isn’t, not if the police choose to treat it as not

[quote=“jandrese, post:7, topic:148279”]
“it was entirely built according to the demands of the people with the attack lawyers.”[/quote]

Sadly, also true of many laws and regulations. :frowning:

1 Like

Because Disney’s insane about copyrights, how about “It’s A Small World After All?”

1 Like

Yeah, but that’s not intended to stop people from travelling the road by walking.

It’s intended to prevent people from exercising their right to protest.

1 Like

Oh I wasn’t suggesting the record industry invented it. I think their only real technical innovations have been stupendously shady accounting practices. I was just calling atttention to the fact it had been used the same way in industry before so they totally knew the bullshit that went with it.

Past few years I was handling the technical production for some events in the area, producer was promising the Moon to his sponsors, live on YouTube, reach, blah blah. I told him our feed was going to get yanked because the DJ was playing all sorts of commercial music we would pick it up through ambient mics.

He denied the would happen… and sure enough, 30 minutes into our final BIG show, YouTube boots us… several web pages with the links becomes invalid, sponsors are calling asking WTF. It was a mess. Of course sponsors didn’t pay, crew doesn’t get paid, producer shrugs shoulders.

Good times. Not.

Not the baby elephant walk, though.

1 Like

Yesssss, this is what I was referring to.

And what’s really stupid is walking around demonstrating you’re a klan member. Someone may punch you.

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.